Cycling and Yoga

annek
annek Member Posts: 3
edited 24. Jul 2014, 10:21 in Say Hello Archive
Hello,
I have bone-on-bone arthritis in my left hip and will need a total hip replacement. I like to cycle and do yoga. If there is anyone that has had the operation and continues (after rehab.) to do these activities I would love to hear from you. Has it made yoga or cycling better or worse and
has anyone had hip dislocation after surgery?

Thanks,
Anne.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello annek and welcome to the forum. I think your best bet is to put these as separate topics on the Living With Arthritis forum – ie yoga and cycling as one topic and the dislocation as another.

I have two THRs but my RA in virtually every other joint means these were never problems for me :wink: I'd guess that cycling will be fine as long as you don't try to do too much too soon. (See here
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Hip-replacement/Pages/Normansstory.aspx ) Yoga, I think you have to be more careful about and some positions will probably be out while others will be good. Your best bet would be to ask your physio post-op, make sure you have a well-qualified tutor and also make sure the tutor is fully aware of your medical history. Then just go for it :D

If your muscles are strong pre-op then that will stand you in good stead post-op. We have had one or two dislocations on here but I'm glad to say neither of my THRs were involved :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • annek
    annek Member Posts: 3
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thanks for the information.
    Anne