I think I cope OK

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
edited 25. Jul 2014, 07:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've never felt 'Why me?' as the obvious, only answer is 'Why not?'.

I've never felt that arthritis snatched my life away, partly because I hadn't had much life at 15 and partly because it didn't. I've had a good life.

I've never seen the point in banging on about pain because re-distributing it is no solution.

But, with the Commonwealth Games barely started, it does make my intolerant hackles rise when I keep hearing about all these athletes 'going through the pain barrier' and 'really hurting now'.

So let them stop. They have the luxury of an option :mrgreen:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well said.
    I also hate those adverts where 'yesterday my wife couldn't move with back pain but today she's thrashing me at tennis and jumping up and down like a loon' :x :x

I admit that I got a tad jealous the other day whilst driving along and seeing so many people out for a run :oops:

I would like to think that I do ok with the whole 'why me' business too.. I also started this rubbish at around the age of 13-14 so have never been fit and healthy as such.. I remember the orthopaedic surgeon telling me that I would never be able to ride a bike again or kneel down for the rest of my life.... I just thought 'oh well, coulda been worse' lol
    This being said I have just posted a self pity thread two mins ago lol... they are a rarity for me though :wink:

Do ya reckon it's cos we're tough Yorkshire folks your stickyness?

Lol
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    At least they have the choice about pushing through the pain barrier. I don't, I do it more than once every day and rarely make a fuss. I learned yesterday just how large the Commonwealth is, its total population is staggering ( I think two billion was mentioned) and the Queen is the sovereign of twenty-six countries (if my memory serves me well) but, I confess, I am bored rigid by the whole palaver. I don't think the Paralympics do us any favours, either; my friends seem to think that because other disabled people are doing wonderful things I should be too - the fact that they are not in pain doesn't register with them.

Sticky, you cope more than just OK. You have taught me a great deal about coping and living with arthritis. Thank you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Very well said SW, I count myself so lucky that arthritis came on later in life..I really admire how you have coped through your life, and you still make us laugh... :D it would be nice to come through the pain barrier wounder what its like :?
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    You do cope very well. From your presence here I can genuinely say that your cyber-person is one that comforts and inspires in many ways. You have done this for me. I can only guess you are similar in your actual life, despite RA ravages and trials. Well done!

Thanks Sticky!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Just want to echo what the others are saying. Since I joined the forum you have given me so much encouragement, support and advice. Totally agree with the comments about disabled athletes, it's become a bit of a stereotype now. Just as for the non-disabled, not everyone with a disability either wants to be, or is able to be an athlete or sportsman/woman.

To use the favourite word of one of my friends, Sticky you are Awesome!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :oops: Oh dear, this is embarassing. Thank you all for your lovely comments. The thread wasn't intended as an invitation to tell me how wonderful I am :o . It was just me having a grump about....well, perceptions of pain, I guess. Ours is a sporty family. I admire sportspeople, their dedication to training, their self-denial of so many ordinary comforts that others take for granted, their sheer grit and determination. I even accept that it must be very hard to put oneself through pain voluntarily. But.....it is voluntary. They can give it up at will. And, it's always temporary. And I suspect I'm a tad envious :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I never ask "why me" for fear someone may tell me :shock:
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol: I love it!
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh Numpty! :lol: That's got a grim day off to a better start than I was expecting, thank you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I think you cope tremendously and agree with all those who have posted above, you are an inspiration and I bet most of those athletes couldn't come close to your humour and resolve at dealing with things. We know that those athletes, as amazing as they are, they don't really know what the pain barrier is - theirs is a pretend pain barrier because as you point out, it's a chosen one and surely that is tackled in an entirely different way psychologically to one that isn't chosen, is daily, is limiting rather than something created by physical finesse. Not that we aren't all finessed in our slightly imperfect way.

Numpty, I love that, thank you!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Sticky
    Hopefully most of the time I don't do the Why Me thing or the I Can't....its well I cant but I can do it differently. You know what I mean
    You are fantastic I know that's not what the post was for :lol:
    but its true
    Love
    Hileena
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    From time to time we all struck down with such horrendous pain and with the feeling of being tired and down we have to ask 'why me?' and then we remember we are mentally strong enough to take it in our stride and positively nutty enough to see the funny side! Maybe advertisers and commentators should take a leaf out of our books and read some of our posts!! Sticky we are all allowed our opinions!! :wink: