query

suebedoo
suebedoo Member Posts: 6
I've been diagnosed with OA after an xray showed up knee sclerosis, I also have lumbar DDD, scoliosis, stenosis & a tilted sacrum. My thoracic spine also has a kyphosis curve.
Do I have to right to request that my gp refers me to a rheumatologist? As I also get pain in my shoulders & elbows aswell as numbness in my ring & little fingers. I also get alot of pain & issues with my ankles & have bony lumps forming on my toes.
I am due to see a spine surgeon & a knee surgeon & am already having regular physiotherapy.
I'm new to all this & am not sure what community help I'm entitled to either; like occupational health support, support for maintaining my council garden etc
At 44 it's come as a huge shock to me.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Suebedoo

Thank you for your post to Helplines.
    It sounds as though you’ve recently had a tricky time with pain and uncertainty and now the diagnosis with your knee. I am really struck that there is quite a lot going on at present with your spine and knees and the pain in your shoulders and hands.

You mention seeing a surgeon for your spine and knee shortly and already having treatment from the physiotherapist, however, you ask about seeing a Rheumatologist and I wonder what you might be hoping for with that request?

You might need to be aware that the Rheumatologist don’t generally offer ongoing treatment for people who have Osteoarthritis. Ongoing treatment from a Rheumatologist is for people with inflammatory arthritis or where there is some underlying question around diagnosis.

Trying to manage life with osteoarthritis can be difficult and the way to manage it is to focus on core self- management guidance. Doing plenty of gentle exercise and eating a balanced diet to avoid becoming overweight are the core messages. The link below will give you some of this information arthritis:
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/LivingwithArthritis/Self-management
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets

We are not medically trained here on the Helplines but are here to talk to in confidence and informally. Our Freephone Helplines: 0808 800 4050 are open from 10am - 4pm Monday to Friday, why not give us a call where you can talk to someone with a listening ear.

Best wishes
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, I'm a forum member and have two kinds of arthritis, my rheumatologist ignores my OA and my GP ignores my auto-immune one. I have around forty affected joints and life isn't fun but it can be enjoyable. Please re-post on the Living with Arthritis board where ordinary forum members can answer. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben