Options
2»

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Tony

Since reading many posts on the US Inspire NOF forum I have started to take magnesium citrate, boron and K2 daily. We are not usually given that much information when diagnosed with OP, unfortunately, so I like to read how others are managing and collect tips. I have started eating quite a few prunes daily (without ill effect! ;)) because they are supposed to be good for OP (and I love them!) and also almonds.

I have not had another DEXA since my diagnosis so have no idea if anything has changed for the better for me.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I love fruit and nuts even though they do upset my IBS! I do try to stay away from take aways and my OH and I only have a take away once a month! I do have a soft spot for KFC but it doesn't like me!! But our major love is Indian food!
    I have found this great site that helps me with my in between meals hunger pangs. And it's all healthy food!

http://www.graze.com/uk/
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Since reading many posts on the US Inspire NOF forum I have started to take magnesium citrate, boron and K2 daily.

I have started eating quite a few prunes daily (without ill effect! ;)) because they are supposed to be good for OP (and I love them!) and also almonds.

I can see the point of Vit K for those who don't eat green leafy veg but I always thought boron supplements were a bit iffy and definitely not for anyone with kidney problems as it takes a lot of flushing out of the system.

Magnesium citrate? Isn't that just a laxative?

Prunes? Now you're talking my language, Elna :D I hadn't heard of the beneficial effects of prunes so thanks for that. They should also sort out Tony's 'bunged upness' from both fentanyl and nuts :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    I hate prunes :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Sticky

Magnesium citrate

"Magnesium assists in the structural development of bone and influences the activities of osteoblasts and osteoclasts (cells that form and break down bone). Magnesium directs calcium into bone – in fact supplementing with calcium and Vitamin D without a balancing amount of magnesium is a big ‘no’ because it can trigger a series of events that cause bone loss and osteoporosis.

Supplemental magnesium is needed for the spongy bone of the spine and pelvis. Spinal fractures – called vertebral compression fractures – are almost twice as common as other fractures linked to osteoporosis. 70% of the magnesium found naturally in nuts is digested and used by the body. Compare that to the form of magnesium that is most commonly used in supplements because it is cheaper, magnesium oxide, which allows for only 4% of the magnesium to ‘work’."

I do not take magnesium oxide as it is not well digested, magnesium citrate is much better apparently.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Sticky

Boron is in prunes or dried plums. One needs to eat 10 - 12 prunes a day though - which I find no problem!

Elna x

• elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Sticky

Apparently one cannot get enough K2 from green vegetables alone unless one ate a high amount of hard cheese a day or Japanese natto which is fermented soybeans and apparently is an acquired taste. It looks and smells foul as well so I read.

I will stick with the tablets as it is good for bone health.

Elna x

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Bummer! Just what you didn't need.

I'm sure my ex-mother in law used to swear by seasame seeds to protect against osteoporosis. Not sure if it worked in anyway but it gave me a lifetime love of seasame bars. They taste like peanut brittle and probably have loads of sugar in but you can pretend they're a healthy snack.

Good luck xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Sticky

Magnesium citrate

"Magnesium assists in the structural development of bone and influences the activities of osteoblasts and osteoclasts (cells that form and break down bone). Magnesium directs calcium into bone – in fact supplementing with calcium and Vitamin D without a balancing amount of magnesium is a big ‘no’ because it can trigger a series of events that cause bone loss and osteoporosis.

Supplemental magnesium is needed for the spongy bone of the spine and pelvis. Spinal fractures – called vertebral compression fractures – are almost twice as common as other fractures linked to osteoporosis. 70% of the magnesium found naturally in nuts is digested and used by the body. Compare that to the form of magnesium that is most commonly used in supplements because it is cheaper, magnesium oxide, which allows for only 4% of the magnesium to ‘work’."

I do not take magnesium oxide as it is not well digested, magnesium citrate is much better apparently.

Elna x
    Thankyou Elna this is very interesting,I take vitD with calcium but have never heard of the connection with magnesium...now prunes I eat every day to keep me going... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    Options
    I take magnesium anyway. It's for my leg cramps. I used to take quinine from the doctor but didn't like taking that. The magnesium works great.
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Only one way to take quinine. In tonic water with Gin!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Or vodka. :wink: DD (Who, oddly, enjoys neat tonic water. :shock: )
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Tony
    Sorry only getting to this now.....Just come back from 6 days hols.
    I was diagnosed with osteoporosis to add to the list as well....shortly before I went away {well about a month ago.}
    I have been prescribed Natecal which is calcium and Vit D
    I was also prescribed Alendronic Acid........Uggghhh!!!!
    I've managed a month of them and that's it....start the next lot on Sun morning.
    Sorry to hear about it Tony.....we have enough to deal with without going around collecting them don't we :wink:
    Love
    Hileena
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Thank you hileena.. Yeah, I think I can safely say that I don't need anymore lol. My first Alendronic acid tablet will be next Thursday morning. Hopefully I'll be ok.

DD and sloshy.. Now you two are just trying to get me drunk :? :shock: :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Thanks for the info, Elna. I do appreciate the trouble you're going to.

I guess we each have our own approaches to these things. I'm very wary of vitamins, minerals and supplements in pill form as it is so easy to overdose on them but virtually impossible to do so when taking them via food.

NHS guidelines are that we should all get enough Vit K, boron and magnesium from a diet rich in leafy veg, nuts, cereals etc. I still can't find any reference to magnesium citrate except as the solution with which the colon is cleansed before a colonoscopy.

I don't like US health sites much as, having a son over there, I'm well aware of their different approach to all things medical and find it a bit scary.

However, I have bought my prunes and am now on the lookout for a cheaper source :shock: Let's hope we both 'live long and prosper' :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    Options
    I will really have to change my diet I know but it won't be easy. I am very very funny with food. I don't eat veg really. I love fruit though apart from..... prunes :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your new diagnosis Tony. I hope all goes well for you.
    I've been taking Alendronic Acid for eight years now, maybe it's time I stopped! I also take Calfovit D3 powders daily, but have never been tested for Osteoporosis, so don't know whether they're working :lol:
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Thanks numpty. .
    You've never been tested for osteoporosis? ?
    Do you mind if I ask why they started you on those meds?
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I was prescribed Alendronic Acid shortly after starting Prednisolone, as a precautionary measure, the powders were added later. I'm still taking Pred, so my Rheumy and GP agree I should carry on with the other stuff. I think it's general practice around here. Not keen on the AA though, it does make me feel a little queasy, but not for long.
    Numpty
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Thanks hun.
    I've only had a couple of short courses of pred and a few injections in the bum so I don't think that steroids are the main culprit for this. More likely my diet etc.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Tony

Have you noticed any height loss over the past couple of years or so?

Elna x

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I had an appointment with a different GP in the pratice about something else today. I mentioned the AA to her and how it affected me. Sick {not physically} all that day and a sort of indigestion. She said come of them and talk to my own GP in 5 weeks time when I have an appointment with her and see what she says. I suggested staying on them until I saw my own GP and she said No come off them give yourself a rest and I'm sure your doctor will put you on an alternative med.
    So that's how it stands with me
    Love
    Hileena
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Thanks girls..

Elna.. I actually lost about one and a half inches in height over a few years, I just put it down to compression of the spine... I am now a stable five foot seven and a half, woohooo.. giant or what :? :roll: :lol: X

I did wonder how long I have had O.P as the GP said that it was 'significant'
    Maybe I have had it a long time...?

Hileena, please keep me up to date with any new meds that you do try. Would be helpful :wink: And I hope that whatever they put you on works well. ? X
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Tony

I have lost over 5 inches in height since 2004. I find it quite scary. From time to time my hubby passes comment :o

Elna x

• tjt6768
    Options
    I must admit, it is a tad worrying... I wasn't the tallest bloke to start with... I usually put mi arms around mi mum, that always helps... she's only four foot seven :wink:

I am gonna start taking the AA this Thursday. It's my methotrexate day.. I will take the AA in the morning as instructed, sat up, full glass of water etc. I will then take my meth in the evening.. My GP said there should be no reason why I couldn't take em on the same day. Gets the nasty crap over n done with :D

I think the T-score on the spine and left hip was about -3.2??

I can't find my letter at the minute... got the lights off as Janet is asleep but I think I remember it right..
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP