Hello

Options
NigelWill
NigelWill Member Posts: 7
edited 2. Aug 2014, 16:36 in Say Hello Archive
Hi

Newbie Nigel here.

For many years I have suffered with arthritic pain in my right knee, and in the last decade my left pinkie finger has gone the same way.
As a self employed gardener aches and pains are normal, but as I am getting older is it to be expected that these will get worse?

cheers

Nige
Try New Things, You May Enjoy Them

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can help. I take it you are talking about osteoarthritis? I have that in a number of very useful joints, thanks to the damage caused by my other arthritis. I find the weather affects it, it doesn't like the cold and damp, does that affect you too? It may be worth taking some supplements - they won't stop the progression but they may slow it. I take cod liver oil with added calcium to help protect against developing osteoporosis (my situation is very different to yours).

Age does impact on our joints but every one's arthritis is unique to them. There are around ten million arthritics in the UK, the majority of whom have osteo. I began my troubles aged 37, I'm now 55 (and shot to bits :lol: ) I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Hello Nige and welcome from me too. I guess the short answer is 'yes' but we are all different in how our 'arthritises' progress. Yours seems to have progressed quite slowly plus you must be quite fit, with strong muscles, given your work and that will stand you in good stead.

You don't say if you've seen a doc and / or if you are on any medication. Pain relief and anti-inflammatories might help, cod liver oil helps to some extent and there are other ways in which you can help yourself. http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Selfmanagement . Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • NigelWill
    NigelWill Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks Dream Daisy and sticky wicket for your replies.

It is osteo and the docs say it is a slow process - I consider myself very lucky compared with those I know who have arthritic issues.

My knee has been an issue for a long while, and I have sort of accepted it. my hands are a relatively new concern - I haven't been to the docs with regard to them, I am hoping its more muscular and tiredness rather than further progression of osteo. When winter comes I will assess it .

thanks once again. :D

cheers

nige
    Try New Things, You May Enjoy Them