New here, waiting for appointment letter :/

helsurf
helsurf Member Posts: 4
edited 1. Aug 2014, 16:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, I'm new here, I've been having pain in my chest, arms and shoulders for a long time now and my dr thinks it sound rheumatic and has referred me for a bone scan, that was over 3 weeks ago and I've not heard anything, does anyone know how long you should wait for an appointment letter to come through? The appointment would be in Southampton general.

Thank you all :) xxx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    These things take as long as they take. By rheumatic I take it you mean some form of arthritis? Bone scans are usually employed to check bone density, Xrays are used to determine whether osteoarthritis is the trouble and the diagnosis of auto-immune forms of arthritis usually begin with a blood test. I would chase this up with your doctor, let him know that you haven't heard anything as yet and he may be able to chase the hospital on your behalf. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hello helsurf
    And welcome to the forum
    My xrays and MRIs have taken around 5/6 weeks but it does depend on your NHS trust,I hope you hear from then very soon and good luck with it
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Helsurf
    Id depends......if it is arthritis {you say rheumatic} Chase the GP or find out who the person is that you are seeing {if that's possible} and chase them up via their secretary......but very nicely :wink: They are very good people to have on side :wink:
    You then mention bone scan
    That's usually a dexa scan to check for osteoporosis....thinning of the bones.....In our area they dont take long except my last one kept getting cancelled because the machine had broken down :roll: :roll:
    I think your GP is a better bet to start with
    Love
    Hileena