Prunes for osteoporosis

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
edited 4. Aug 2014, 17:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Or rather, prunes for no osteoporosis. Or less osteoporosis? I'm not sure :?

As I have osteoporosis I reckoned I'd nothing to lose apart from money (Ten prunes a day can mount up :o ) and maybe weight (So can visits to the loo :wink: ) so I bought my prunes yesterday and made a start. I ate a cautious five as I'm not a carnivore and don't do the heavy duty opiates that bung you up. I still got better acquainted with my loo though :oops:

Anyway, today I checked out the research and:

1. It's only one small piece of research ie 50 ate the prunes and 45 ate dried apple instead.

2. The women were all post-menopausal but not diagnosed with osteoporosis ie they probably just experienced bone loss more slowly than the control group.

3. The research was funded by the US Dept. of Agriculture and the dried fruit provided by the California Dried Plum Board :?

4. The research was carried out in 2007. Wouldn't a follow-up have been easy to organise in the seven years after that? Why hasn't there been one?

5. Why has no further research been done on women who actually have osteoporosis?

6. Why does the National Osteoporosis Society not mention this research and has actually removed the topic from its forum?

Curiouser and curiouser as Alice (in Wonderland) would say.

I think I shall continue to eat prunes because, as my dear old Mum would have said “If they do you no good, they'll do you no harm.” But in moderation. If I never reach the dizzy heights of ten per day I shall not lose any sleep over it. The big question is – will I lose more bone density? And the next big question is – where can I find someone researching the beneficial effects on osteoporosis of a daily glass of Chenin Blanc? (Or ten :shock: :lol: )
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I love prunes and they do help with the old bowels...much better then the stuff my GP gave me...they do say red wine is good for the heart... :D but not sure how many... :?
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    You can have my share of prunes your stickiness... :wink::wink: I can't stand em :lol:

and, just to be extra kind, you can have my chenin blanc too xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    I couldn't possibly accept such generosity, Tony. So, I'll take the CB and leave the prunes for someone else :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Sticky

Is this more recent info than you found on prunes/dried plums?

[link deleted by Mod - US link to a newspaper report] Mod YEH

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • AmandaJones
    AmandaJones Bots Posts: 36

2. The women were all post-menopausal but not diagnosed with osteoporosis ie they probably just experienced bone loss more slowly than the control group.

Hun..that’s a news to me!! I am not osteoporotic, but this definitely sounds good and healthy. I Known them mostly for their laxative effect, but read that they are rich in fibre, potassium, iron, antioxidants, and phytonutrient. :o

I googled out of curiosity and found Prunes provide excellent protection against osteoporosis and osteopenia due to their high level of boron. Boron aids in the prevention of osteoporosis. Prunes suppress the rate of breakdown of bone, which tends to exceed the rate of new bone growth as people age. Your bone health is further supported with the potassium content in prunes. :)

So no doubt, now they are high on my list of healthful foods. :P
    Thanks Sw

Amanda
  • elnafinn
    This is quite interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA_FC5gQo9Q

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I drink prune juice every day {for the laxative effect :wink: }
    I've always done that since on these horrible meds but I doubt that that would count???????

Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    There has been debate on this on the NOF Inspire forum, Hileena and it would appear it has to be prunes/dried plums not prune juice or prunes liquidised......

Elna x

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Thanks Elna
    I've only popped into NOS recently not really read very much and missed this

Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    Hi Hileena

There is a thread on the NOS forum about prunes but I got much more information about it from the NOF Inspire forum in the US.

[link deleted - US based site] Mod YEH
    Link reinstated
    https://www.inspire.com/groups/national-osteoporosis-foundation

Elna x

ps The NOS forum has at long last been updated and improved

• stickywicket
    Thanks for the extra info, Elna. It seems as if more research is ongoing into the beneficial effects of prunes though not necessarily to do with osteoporosis. It also reads that the original research was on women who were osteopaenic which, I guess, says more for the results than if they'd been simply post-menopausal. I shall continue to 'prune' my diet but I think I shall have to increase slowly if I'm to have any sort of social life :lol:

Are we not allowed to post US websites?
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Stickywicket,

Sorry to have sort of 'hijacked' your thread. You are right that the reason given for the 2 links I deleted was that they were US sites, and also right that that reason is daft. I've checked T&C and our forum rules and there is no clear rule for what links will be allowed and which will not. I will re-instate the 2nd of Elna's links. The first link is from a newspaper, and we probably all know of spurious articles in newspapers.

There may be changes to that following a Mod meeting next month. In view of that I will start a thread here in LWA to collect thoughts and ideas for that meeting.

Thank you for your comment

Mod YEH
  • stickywicket
    No problem, Mod YEH. You're being helpful not hijacking.

I didn't say the reason was daft, Indeed, I didn't know there was a reason. I just asked if we were not allowed to post US sites as I've never known them not to be allowed before. Is there a reason?

I've also seen links to newspapers before on here.

It all seems very muddled - as am I :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hi Stickywicket,

You're not alone

t3814.gif

Mod YEH