A Acid

dachshund
dachshund Member Posts: 9,128
edited 5. Aug 2014, 17:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
A Acid
a friend of mine has been taking a acid for over ten years she has op
the other day she fell over and broke her elbow she has her arm in a sling and as to go to the hospital on monday to see if she needs a op.
my question why take A Acid.
take care all.
joan xx
take care
joan xx

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I assume that it's aluronic (sp?) Acid?
    For osteoporosis. I am due to start taking that next Thursday....

I think it is meant to help the bones become healthier but not sure how well it works.

hope she is ok
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 9,128
    yes Tony
    thats the one my friend is 80.
    thank you good luck with it.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • tjt6768
    Thanks mi luvli...

I shall let ya know. I started on the chewable calcium tablets last week..
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    I think alendronic acid has been shown to help increase bone density, Joan, but that doesn't guarantee that bones won't break, only that they will be less likely to do so. Sportsmen ,who are very fit, break bones sometimes although there's nothing wrong with their bone density. It's just one of those things that can happen to anyone.

If your friend has been taking alendronic acid for over ten years, though, I think she should query this as it's normally only prescribed for ten years. I believe it's considered that, after that time, it has done its job. Plus the side-effects become more likely the longer it is taken.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I've ben re started on it.....was on it a few years ago for osteopenia and changed GP's {for other reasons} and she said I didn't need to be on meds...just life style changes. I wasn't complaining :lol:
    Now that I have been diagnosed with Osteoporosis I'm back on it and I'm going to talk to her about it. I follow the instructions to the letter, sitting up straight, no othermeds or drinks before hand etc but I'm still sick on the day I take it....not physically sick but queasy for the whole day
    Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Joan

There has been a re-think regarding AA and you are often only on it for 5 years maximum with a few years break from it. Unfortunately we are the guinea pigs with these drugs so ideas change over time.

My mother was on AA for too long in my opinion and her femur broke without her falling......

I was never happy on AA or the other ones from that same family so quickly came off them with discussion with my GP. I am happy with Strontium Ranelate (SR) that was then prescribed but that option is rarely offered first - makes me think cost is one of the reasons.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh dear, Joan, your poor friend. :( I hope her hospital visit goes OK and that an operation is not needed. My Pa broke his left elbow, the only treatment was to wear a sling until it healed (I think that took around six weeks, he was left with an arm that would not straighten properly). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Hello Tony and Elina,

I'm in the third year of a five year plan.
    The medications including alendronic acid seem to be
    working for me so much so that when I see my consultant
    early next month I will try to negotiate a reduction in the term.
    I copped for osteoporosis as a result of past long term usage
    of steroids to combat rheumatoid arthritis. Humira and
    azathyroprine are doing the trick for that nowadays.
  • tjt6768
    Thanks ichabod :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • hileena111
    Hi I've just posted on another thread about that. I went to see a GP at my practice today about something else and mentioned AA to her and how it was affecting me. Sick {not physically} for the full day I took it. and indigestion as well. She said to come off it and I have an appointment in 5 weeks to see my own GP. She said things would be OK until then and my own GP would find an alternative
    So that's it for 5 weeks.
    Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    Hi Hileena

That is good news for you. Great that you mentioned it to the other GP you saw today. Let's hope the next med suggested by your own GP suits you better. You may well be offered the same one I take now (Strontium Ranelate (SR) although I was asked to try another bisphosphonate first after Alendronate but I suffered similar symptoms which I was not at all surprised about. At least I do not feel unwell on SR.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    Hi Elna
    Could I remember the name of the one you took :roll:
    She said let Ann {My GP} decide because there were always ones being deemed as dangerous.
    I suppose the same as anti inflammatories
    I'll let you know but not seeing her for 5 weeks? I thought that was a bit long to be without them.
    Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    Hi Ichabod

That is good news that the AA seems to be working well for you. I presume you had an improved result after another DEXA a year or so later after starting on it. Unfortunately long term taking of steroids is one of the many reasons why OP can unfortunately occur.

Elna x

• elnafinn
    Hi Hileena

Strontium Ranelate has had some questions marks over it pretty recently and I believe Joan was taken off it by her GP. I am happy to be on it if I have to take anything and my GP must be too as he continues to prescribe it for me.

Elna x