We had our first face crash

LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 6. Aug 2014, 07:12 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well Summer did.

We went on a little walk on Saturday and it rained. Mr LV was less than happy in the rain and once again took a long time to explain how an entire nation of Australians avoid rain because they have that option - nice if you can love but this is Manchester, we think light rain is the height of a great summer.

I was happy with the rain, as were the girls because rain means puddles and puddles means splashing about and having a ball. Mr LV, with his national rain avoidance strategy had up until then missed the pure unadultered joy of wellies, rain and two little girls so I ignored the comments and took him to the puddliest place I could think that required little walking. We got there, the girls got out of the pram and the joy began. They splashed, they sploshed, they giggled and even the sun came out which immediately upped Mr LVs enjoyment of the whole thing...and then it happened, Summer got carried away in her head and her feet didn't follow. We were on a gravel path, in slow motion, as I held Tegen's hand, Summer skidded towards me on her face. There was that awful pause followed by that awful howl and quite a lot of blood.

She is now sporting a grazed nose, a sore lip and a bit of a forehead bump. I feel like a negligent mother once again and Mr LV is only now calming down and understanding that she will not need plastic surgery and that the scars will heal (he couldn't even pass me baby wipes from the pram at the time to clean her up he was in such a lather). I think maybe he also understands that you have to have rain to make puddles and that puddles are perhaps the best free fun there is for two 16 month olds, even if they do get scratched and bruised along the way. I'm not sure he understands that Summer's fall on her face was the first of many to come because they are children and that's what children do when they get carried away having fun!
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dads do panic,hope the little one is ok now.How are you doing ? Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Oh dear! Poor Summer! But she's a lucky little lass because she has a Mum who allows her to make mistakes. She'll recover. There was a point when I was afraid to go into my local butcher's as I was convinced they thought I was mistreating my eldest. It started when he attempted to go down the step into the garden - in his babywalker. And it just kind of carried on from there :roll:

I think Summer will be fine. Not so sure about Mr LV in Manchester :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Aww bless..has my mother used to say there will be more.. :o how lovely to see them splashing around in the puddle's ...one of life pleasure when you are little... :D we saw tow Little girls the other day with matching umbrellas they were thrilled to bit because it was raining..hope summer is getting over her fall... :) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Wellies? Puddles? Splashing? Get in! It's still fun for a 55 year old fat woman even if she can't stamp very well. :lol: Mr LV needs to learn about what he has missed because, let's face it, he had an un-natural childhood. :wink:

Toddlers fall down, they always have and they always will. This is why they have parents to pick them up, clean and comfort them. Well done to you, LV, you have absolutely the right approach and I too hope that little Summer is OK now. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    I like the way you reported this every day event in one of your
    little girls' life.
    One good point about living in Manchester is that a lot of its
    border runs alongside Lancashire.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Thank you Ichabod :)

I can report that madam, after a quick sleep, was quite back to her normal cheeky and slightly naughty self. Eating was the first medicine she required and if anything she seems to have more confidence, not less. Maybe once you've fallen you know how it feels. I'm with you DD, we have lots of splashing fun.

Sticky, you make me feel much better about my negligent status. They always have an odd bruise or scrape and Mr LV always asks where they are from. I generally don't know because they are none stop and always run into things or each other. It's all good fun though :)
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Toddlers are made of tuff stuff because as they learn to walk, run and jump they do fall over a lot. Daddy was just upset because they are his little princesses and he thinks they are made of china, which is sweet. As for puddles they are there to be jumped in and kicked. Also huge ones are there for your car to be drove through and splashed. Even though once when we where out in the car and saw this huge puddle and we looked at each other and we didn't have to speak we where thinking the same thing and just as we got our front tyres in to the water this young lady stepped right in the area of the puddle and got hit fully with the splash! We felt awful. I know what she must have been thinking as it had happened to me when I worked and was on my way to work!!