My Kindle and exploding eggs.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 14. Aug 2014, 06:39 in Community Chit-chat archive
My Kindle paperwhite has been having funny turns and I don't know why. I'll be happily reading when the words vanish and the picture of someone sitting under a tree appears. Then the indicator line moves slowly along until it's about 80% of the way across and the whole thing freezes. It has done this three times in three days and it's becoming annoying. I wonder if it's to do with the battery - I have to recharge mine on a frequent basis as I read for around a total of three hours every night, I will wander onto Amazon and see if I can discover more but I was curious if this is happening to anyone else.

Now for the Vesuvian eggs I appear to possess. Breakfast every day is two hard-boiled eggs (I can't stand 'em runny). I buy a tray of free-range eggs from a local nursery which is kept in the garage fridge; six at a time are taken and stored in a bowl on the worktop in the kitchen - thus they are at room temperature. Without fail, and no matter the cooking technique involved, the shell of one will split and the contents foam forth in an eruption of white (with the odd tinge of yellow). This morning both went bang (even though I had put them in at the start of heating the water). Is it the eggs? Is it me? Should I add vinegar to the water? Should I try the pin-prick method and if so is it the narrow or broad end you stab? DD (who is incapable of successfully boiling eggs).
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My techie skills are second (bottom) to none so I'll leave the kindle paragraph well alone but as for the eggs - I think the pin prick method might be your best bet. You can buy a 'tool' for it. I think it's all to do with the air inside the shell expanding. You're doing all the right things by keeping them at room temperature then putting them in cold water but maybe the ring is boiling the water too quickly for comfort.

My mother-in-law once managed to burn a boiled egg :o
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Can't help on the kindle front as mine is an older model.
    Re boiling eggs, I have in the past managed to ruin a saucepan by putting eggs on to boil and then forgetting all about them. Managed to do it more than once so was banned from boiling eggs for a while.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I hate it when this happens and it has on many occasions..so I bought the floating pods and poach them now perfect eggs... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,933
    Options
    Hello DD
    when i boil eggs i boil the water first take the egg from the fridge
    but the egg in the boiling water and time 7 mins.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Sorry can't help with the kindle or the eggs DD.

Just glad I'm not the only one who burns boiled eggs. :lol:
    Christine
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Have you managed to sort you Kindle out yet DD? I have a Kindle Fire and no problems so far and I use mine everyday because I can play games on it as well as read books.