Garden Sheds... Plastic or Wood

Options
alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 10. Aug 2014, 06:44 in Community Chit-chat archive
I need one desperately, but can't decide whether to buy Plastic or Wood.
Has anyone on here recently bought one, and can you recommend one that you've got. Alanthemanc

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    A new shed :D

I think wood looks much nicer but needs good foundations plus protection against weather, insects etc. and maintenance. Plastic's cheaper (and looks it) and tougher.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Wood is beautiful when new but the maintenance is essential and (for the likes of us) difficult. I would opt for plastic then disguise it with a nice bit of trellis up which you could grow beans, clematis or a rose. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • alanthemanc
    alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
    Options
    D.D./ Stick
    Had a look on a couple of websites, differing opinions, like you said. Look an absolute nightmare to put up, so with my hands, and shoulders, I'm going to need quite a lot of help methinks. Alanthemanc
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Alan be careful with the plastic ones ,our neighbors children put an ho;e in there's :o ...so they aren't very secure ..but if you are not putting anything of value in they are brilliant..
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi Alan..
    I have a cracking tin shed.. 10 foot by 10 foot.. it is a lot sturdier than I expected it to be. I was lucky as I was given it by my son inlaw when they moved up here, they're garden won't take it, luckily purs does.. just... lol
    wooden ones look so much nicer though, but as mentioned therebis the maintenance.

I was also lucky as my son inlaw and neighbour put it together for me..

sorry I haven't offered any advice rkid.. :oops:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    We have 3 wooden sheds but 2 are starting to look shabby after 4 years but they are still standing, and a neighbour let us take her old shed when she moved. It was already ancient but has survived the move well.
    I paid for a very large shed for the OH because he kept putting his scooters in the house and it does look very nice and secure. He had to have a base built and then painted the shed, added lights and insulation so initially a lot of extra work was involved. If only he cared so much for the other things in his life! :roll:

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    We have a wooden shed and spent about £500 on this when we moved in. However, it has a 25 year guarantee.

We did the 'supply and erect' option for the suppliers we used, but they also offered a 'supply, erect and sort the concrete pad thing that it stands on' option. Also, have a think about the size you want, do you want windows? If so, do you want them to open? Yadda, yadda, yadda. It took us weeks to decide.

It may be worth a bit of research and visiting some garden centres that have shed outlets on them. Most garden centres these days sell cuppas - it's the plants you have to hunt for!

Good luck.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I'd go for a good wood one, plastic becomes brittle with UV and frost over time, just make sure its off the ground and you treat it ever few years, I use Boron liquid for my fence and sheds, its water based so i spray it on, it also doesn't kill bugs or plants, it only kills wood boring pests and algae. I use to use engine oil and creosote but they've changed the chemical in creosote and it smells horrible now so I won't use it as I refuse to believe something that smells like its 2 parts Sarin isn't toxic to me or anything else it touches.