I know I shouldn't but I don't care!

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 9. Aug 2014, 09:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
I tried rest, relaxation and the hot wheat pack and they didn't help so I've given in and slipped my collar on for a while to take the pressure off my neck and at least get rid of that pain for a while. I also have a softer one as the last couple of nights I've worn that one in bed for a while as at least I loose one pain then.

I'm struggling a bit now that I've finished my course of Oxycodone, well more than a bit, especially at night. I had forgotten how bad nights were before I started it. Feeling fed up and tearful again, I've cried the last couple of nights which is not like me.

I've got a GP appointment for Monday but I'm going to see if I can get an appointment for tomorrow.

So sorry to winge again. It feels like all I'm doing at the moment.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    No apologies, Slosh. You are going through the mill right now and that is what we're here for. I don't see why you shouldn't wear your collar - isn't that what it's for? - though maybe be careful not to nod off with one on. (It does sound unlikely :roll: )

Do whatever you have to do until you can get further expert help, and if part of that is coming here to share it then you must do that. (I refuse to call it a whinge. It's nothing like a proper whinge :wink: ). Have some very gentle ones ((()))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks Sticky. There are times when the collar is the only thing that helps with the neck pain, and thus takes one lot of pain out of the mix. I've managed to get a GP appointment for today ( thank goodness for on line booking, much easier than trying to get through on the phone for the limited number of same day appointments) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that.

Believe it or not moaning like I am at present is not my usual mindset and I hate being in this frame of mind as it's not me.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Slosh I feel for you, I have neck pain but not bad enough to need a collar..I hope you get the appointment and hopefully some relief..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you both, I have had neck surgery Barbra but it didn't resolve the pain unfortunately. Keeping my fingers crossed for this afternoon.
    Julian of Norwich
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I get neck pain but not as bad as you have. I would use the collar too if it meant less pain. Hope you get some help this afternoon.
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    Options
    How was your appointment, Slosh? I hope for some good news, even if only partially good :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Got two more weeks of oxycodone. He examined my left leg and was concerned as the muscle weakness has worsened since he last saw me about a month ago. As a result I am now at A and E as he wants me to be seen by oryhs.Will let you know how I get on but is it too late to ask for pocket duties?
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Never too late. I'm there with you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I'm with you too Slosh. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You can count me in too but you might have to nudge me every now and again to wake me up. I am pleased you have another fortnight of the oxyco, just carry on taking things one day at a time because sometimes that is all we can do. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    I seem to remember that you have had surgery on your neck. If so and things aren't going well then I think you should moan at the surgeon/GP as much as you can. After my first surgery I was never right but kept getting fobbed off. The surgeon believed that he had fixed me and I even saw one locum GP who told me that I would always have back ache after having spine surgery. It took nearly 2 years for the surgeon, and everyone else, to accept that I had an infection (in act he had to go in and take the pus covered hardware out before he believed it). I think what I am trying to say is : if you don't feel right then play up until someone listens. us folk with long term pain are too stoic and tend not to be believed about our pain levels. Sometimes we actually don't have to live with the pain!

Good luck.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you all. Well I am now back home so time for an update. My GP was concerned as the muscle weakness had increased. He had previously written twice to the consultant I'm under about my leg and also about the reoccurrence of the problems in my left arm, but when I saw the registrar at my follow up,a month ago he was very dismissive.
    The GP phoned orths again today,, waited an hour and then when they didn't get back to him sent me to A and E with a letter. It was good that he took me seriously, and in a way good to know that it wasn't all in my head!

I saw a very nice orths doctoer who listened, asked lots of questions and examined me. His feeling is that it is more likely to be a muscular problem and so I might need my GP to refer me to rheumatology. He was interested in the fact that when I had FBC blood test my red blood cells were enlarged, but that all the follow up tests for the things this usually indicate were negative and was pleased it was being double checked. He asked what I was most concerned about at present, my arm or my leg and I said my leg.

He had already spoken to my consultant and I have an emergency appointment with him next Friday morning when he will examine me fully and decide on the next step, another MRI if it is felt to be neurological, or reccomendation for a referral to rheumatology. I have a feeling the registrar I saw may be in for a bit of a reprimand.

Been a bit of a day but at least I know I am being taken seriously. Thanks all for being in my pocket. I will be putting out a request for next Friday.

It may seem strange but in a way it's reassuring to know there is something wrong and that it's not just me.

One last thing, he said it was very likely that the swallowing problems I have are due to scar tissue around my throat as this was a possible side effect of the surgery.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You've had two good appointments there, Slosh, and I guess that's about as much as one can hope for. Whatever the cause it should be determined as that's also good. I bet you're shattered though now.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks Sticky. Yes I did feel shattered. Yesterday is starting to sink in now. Pleased that I don't have to wait until October for my next orths review, and that I will be seeing my consultant.
    Worried that he is seeing me as an emergency appointment, but that what seems to be the likely outcome of that will be a referral to Rheumatology and that there is something else wrong, something I know a lot of people on the forum have experience of. I have a couple of friends who had lower back problems with slipped discs etc and I know my symptoms are very different to theirs so a muscular problem seems likely especially as I don't get any pain in my leg.
    At least if I do need another referral it will be made 2 months sooner.
    Need to discuss walking/ leg with the physio on Tuesday especially as the orths doctor I saw didn't seem to think one stick offered enough support, especially as I had to admit to leaning on it more heavily which aggravates my shoulder and neck pain.
    I am very lucky to have a good GP, one who I can talk to, who listens and who follows things through.

Mind you when I went to get my prescription it was the first time I had to show ID before they would give it to me!
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Try not to get ahead of yourself in speculating what a rheumatologist maight say. In my experience these things rarely turn out how we expect.

As for the physio, I think it's a good plan to ask about the stick. I've never been able to use them (hands, elbows, shoulders, not to mention feet that stick out and trip over a stick :roll: ) but, from what I've read on here, I think they're supposed to be for balance not weight bearing.

How's things today?
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Don't worry Sticky I won't, I'm not someone who googles symptoms, that way madness lies. It's just good to know that things are going to be investigated what ever route that takes and that the process has been speeded up a bit.

I will definitely discuss whether it is still ok to go on using one stick when I see my physiotherapist on Tuesday, not the most positive thing to discuss but better safe than sorry.

At least I have a couple more weeks of the stronger meds so at least my sleep will be a bit better.
    Julian of Norwich
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Just seen this Slosh as have been away and had internet problems. I am glad you have such a great GP that takes you seriously(I have one too)also good that you have got an earlier appointment, I will certainly be around for pocket duties, lets hope you can move forward and get some answers. My GP referred me for a stick for my balance as I have had a few falls due to neuropathy in my feet. Hope you are managing to get some sleep now that in itself will hopefully make you feel a bit better................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you Marie, I already use a stick and have done since last October when my problems with my left leg started. The doctor I saw yesterday said I might need two so will discuss options at my next physio appointment on Tuesday.
    I had a MRI of my whole spine done last December which was normal apart from the neck problem which is another reason the doctor I saw yesterday thought it might be muscular. He really explained things well, what the differences were and why I might need another referral. It does seem strange that two of the most helpful, doctors I've seen at hospital have been via A and E rather than my outpatients appointments in which the doctors have been too focussed on one thing and not wanted to discuss other things.
    A good GP does make all the difference.
    Julian of Norwich