Imagine

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
edited 11. Aug 2014, 14:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
You live in Cloud Cuckoo Land. Everything is identical to your current life apart from one thing.

In Cloud Cuckoo Land there is a diet which excludes tea, coffee, alcohol, sugar, salt, chocolate, cakes, biscuits, crisps and cheese. The diet won't cure your arthritis but, as long as you stick to it totally, the arthritis will effectively disappear as will all ithe pain and damage done and you can enjoy a normal life. If you slip up, just once and slighty, you'll be back in the worst arthritic pain and state that you, personally, have ever experienced for 12 months before the diet will put things in abeyance again.

How do you rate your chances?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I thought about this longer and harder than appropriate :shock: :lol:
    I finally went for the first option, my reason being, the only one of those things I really would struggle to give up would be the alcohol, but, if I was Arthritis free, I don't think I'd be quite so reliant on wine. :oops: :lol:
    Numpty
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    My life is already bad and short enough - why deny myself some of the remaining pleasures it holds? Meds for me, please! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    No, I didn't forget to do the poll, I just felt the need to think seriously about it. I want to tick (a) but, realistically, I think I'd require 12 months of my worst pain to give me the required kick up rear in order to stick rigidly to the diet so I'm opting for (b)

Numpty, I love your logic.
    DD, I'm genuinely surprised. Would your life be bad without the arthritis?
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I'll give it all up. I'm betting human ingenuity can invent new weird and wonderful vices that don't stir the arthritis pot in CCLand.

I have mostly given up all on your list anyhow, though I do still have small amounts sweet treats, chips, and cheese. I know it's hard at first, but with the proper pain and/or nausea, etc motivation all can be given up.

I just gave up coffee, a long-standing favorite vice since about seventeen. Can't drink black tea or alcohol....OK, I'll stop before I start crying.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Gimme the meds. Oh, and the chocolate, biscuits and tea lol. I can't live without those :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Most of those things I either don't eat/drink and the rest I think I could give up but definitely not tea. Can't survive without tea although maybe after a while with much worse pain, I'd try.
    Christine
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Think I would manage, but it does get you thinking. :? I had to give up on my glass of wine a long time ago..but the rest, :o
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm gobsmacked that anyone on here would CHOOSE ARTHRITIS :shock:

Surely you're winding me up? Trying and failing I can understand all to well but to have a remedy to hand and not try it :?
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Maybe I've misunderstood: I thought the choice was give up all the lovelies in life and be arthritis-free or take the meds, have the arthritis, but still enjoy a pleasant and varied diet. Be arthritis-free but without a cuppa? :shock: Nah, not for me. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I read this yesterday and needed a think but really no I don't, I'm in - I have friends who are abstinent due to alcohol and drug problems being their previous pastimes and they all seem to have a ball without having no pain and arthritis as the added bonus. There's always olives and fruit and I love both so that would do for me in exchange for drugs and arthritis thank you and I think I would very quickly learn to cope without all the naughty pleasures that I would have to forgo.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I would very quickly learn to cope without all the naughty pleasures that I would have to forgo.

I swill tea by the 1/2 pint mug all day but would walk away without a glance as long as the arthritis stayed with it :D

There are plenty of other pleasures, naughty or nice, besides the food and drink ones, especially if you don't have arthritis :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    I'm gobsmacked that anyone on here would CHOOSE ARTHRITIS :shock:

lol had RA long enough to know there is no magic cure , apart from the daily express that has a new cure today on its front page & almost every week they find a new cure