Gabapentin and Co-Codamol

Options
silkysam
silkysam Member Posts: 113
edited 24. Aug 2014, 07:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, just wondering if anyone else takes Gabapentin alongside Co-Codamol.

Thanks for help :)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Not me, silkysam, but others might. I know Lubs asked a similar question about a week ago re amitrp and diazapam and I don't think anyone else took them both.I wish you more success.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    I did take both. What do you want to know?
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I did take gabapentin with the cocos..but now its pregablin this is a newer med than the gabapentin..and I get on with them both..hope you are doing okay..
    Love
    Barbara
  • silkysam
    Options
    Thank you all for feedback. Well GP has changed meds from Amitryptyline to Gabapentin. I am starting on a low dosage, then gradually increasing. I have been taking Zapain or Co-Codamol to help pain relief. Just wondered if anyone had got on with taking both Gabapentin and Zapain/ Co Cod .

I did ask Pharmacist and he said it is fine to take alongside Zapain. Thanks for feedback once again. :) all helps .........
  • frogmella
    Options
    My GP switched me straight from ami to gaba and I had terrible withdrawal headaches for about a week. She told me that it would be fine but it wasn't. Just so that you don't worry if you start to feel bad - it's probably caused by that! I was fine taking gaba and cocos. It takes a while to get the gaba dose right but I found it worked really well.
  • silkysam
    Options
    Thanks again for your reply frogmella. You have been a great help. That is good to know so I can be informed in the event I should get the headaches.
    As always, so very grateful to you :)
  • Dakky
    Dakky Member Posts: 53
    Options
    I was taking gabapentin an co-cods. Watch out as the dose increases (Gaba) if you start to get a sore throat and a cough. I'm sure it's a bad reaction to the gaba if i remember rightly. It's why i came of the gaba.
  • silkysam
    Options
    Thanks Dakky. Oddly enough, I had started to get a very burny, sore throat, also dizzy spells which have been quite alarming. Also lost my appetite. So I was thinking of coming off them .Thanks for feedback.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I take both and have done for several years now, sometimes higher doses of both, sometimes lower. I've never had trouble reducing the dose of either. I did have awful side-effects from Gabapentin when I started it. These stopped after a while and I notice none anymore. It's a drug I wouldn't be without as it helps my nerve pain and other neuropathy symptoms.

Best wishes.
  • silkysam
    Options
    Hi Boomer13 What type of Arthritis do you have? I have really bad sciatica like pain and sitting down is so painful. I guess it is all neuropathic. I have OA hips and lower spine. Thanks for feedback
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi; I have psoriatic arthritis, Raynaud's, mild OA and a somewhat mysterious neuropathy yet to be fully diagnosed (but we've now ruled out several things). I have a lot of parasthesias (tingling,etc) and RLS, severe muscle fasciculations and weakness. Gabapentin has made the first two mostly bearable. I take several other meds along with it and codeine/acetaminophen.

I hope it gives you some relief.
  • silkysam
    Options
    That's really helpful info Bloomer13. Oh poor you! Hope you get good relief and hope it continues to help you. Thanks for sharing. Have a lovely week-end. :)
  • weejim1961
    weejim1961 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    I had both, but took a bad reaction to the gabapentin (red lumps all over my legs and chest. Had to wait about a month for them to clear up, then put on Carbamazepine, which I was reluctant to try, as it is something similar, but was glad I did as it has really helped with the nerve pain. The good thing is if one medication doesn't work, there's always an alternative.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this question because the answers you've had have helped me a bit too. I take Amitriptyline for small fiber neuropathy/ circulation problems and have RA with secondary Sjogren's and Raynauds as well as Hypothyroidism. As with Boomer, no one yet knows what is causing the peripheral parasthesia/ neuropathy so while I wait (a very long wait I'm told) to see the neurologist my GP suggested that I try Gaberpentin or Pregabalin. However I have had to come off three DMARDs to date because of bad reactions and my GPs are very nervous of my drug intolerances now so we've decided to postpone one of these for as long as possible. The bad part of this is that the Amitriptyline is worsening my dry eyes and I seem to get used to a dose and then have to move up so currently on 30mg per night which works for sleep but I'm half baked during the days too! I sometimes take co-codimol with Amitriptyline and have survived so assume it's okay.
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • frogmella
    Options
    I also found ami made my eyes dry - my aunty does too.

I found the side effects of gaba better than the effects of not taking them. I think, like with everything, it is a case of which thing is worse. For me I found Gaba really effective and I put up with the side effects. On the other hand tramadol did little for me and I found the side effects weren't outweighed by the slight benefits.
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    That is interesting about the eye dryness with Ami Frogmella. But then my GP told me that I have Sjogrens almost certainly so the Ami would just be making an existing problem slightly worse. So last week I took three nights off Ami to see if eye dryness improved but by day three it hadn't changed and I was experiencing awful nerve pain at night again - so now I'm back on my 30mg. If I keep having to raise the dose of Ami to get relief/ sleep and pouring drops into my eyes on an hourly basis I think I might ask to try Gaberpentin instead and see if this replaces the benefits of Amitriptyline more efficiently.Mat
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • silkysam
    Options
    Thanks for all the input I am getting. It is good to be better informed and very comforting to get feedback. It all helps. Thanks :)