Can someone advise how I can gain weight

june1934
june1934 Member Posts: 2
edited 14. Aug 2014, 07:05 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

This is my first post. Im an 80 year old RA sufferer and have recently lost a lot of weight (1 stone) and would like to healthily and safely put it back on.

Can anyone give me any tips/advice.

Many thanks

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello June and welcome to the forum. I'd love to be able to help but, if you've lost a stone without trying to do so, I think you should be asking your GP rather than us. There could be some underlying cause such as the medication you're taking or just that you're finding it difficult to eat enough.

Some things to think about:
    Have you lost your appetite or are you eating basically as much as before?
    Has there been any change in your medication?
    Have you changed your diet recently?
    Have you any other problems?
    Have you changed your routine?

All these things could cause inadvertent weight loss. If you'd like a chat with our Helpline people their freephone number is at the top of the page. I hope this can be sorted quickly for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hi June;

If your doctor finds nothing wrong and advises dietary changes, one thing that has worked for me in the past has been drinking a liquid meal replacement (the canned/bottled ones that don't taste very nice) in between meals for the added calories, protein, etc.

It's also a good idea to make sure you are getting enough high quality protein in your diet. It's extra important for us with inflammatory arthritis.

Best wishes.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello June and welcome to the forum..
    I lost my appetite and had test that showed some kidney probs.so that is one thing that you could get check out...or if things have been checked, then you could ask your GP for the drinks that have all the vitamins and minerals in and high calorie..I hope this helps..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    How's things, June?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright