I did it the crazy way! Let's celebrate.

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
edited 21. Aug 2014, 09:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
This morning I received a little video of my 5 yr old grandson going down a water slide on his tummy. He got out brimming with ecstatic achievement “ I did it crazy :D I did it the crazy way :D:D

My first thought was that arthritis robs us of this kind of excitement but my next thought was that, actually, it presents lots of opportunities of doing many things 'the crazy way'. We walk the crazy way. We handle everyday tasks the crazy way. We're just more inclined to focus on what we can't do or on the resulting payback than on what magnificent achievements we make despite the odds.

Let's change that :P

I'll start you off. Whenever I see the podiatrist (up a flight of stairs) or the orthotist (down a flight of stairs) I try to do them, without recourse to the lift. One foot at a time, clinging to the banister with both hands, concentrating very hard at the difficult corners and top steps (where I run out of banister :shock: ). I do get a sense of achievement when I reach the top safely and I probably get lots of lovely endorphins helping the rest of the day to go better :D I do it the crazy way.

What arthritic achievements should you be celebrating?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Pouring hot liquids - I do that the crazy (and dangerous) way most times. When Mr LV says 'why didn't you say something, I would have done it' I think, what and deprive myself of the excitement of nearly scalding myself and once again not doing?!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Picking my nose with my left hand when the fingers of
    my right are locked.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    LV - I hate 'I would have'. It's shorthand for 'I would have done it if I'd been in the kitchen doing nothing else at that moment in time.' What it most certainly does NOT mean is 'I would have come straight into the kitchen to do it if only you'd called me.'

Ah the thrill of the near catastrophe! Some have to spend a small fortune on bungee jumping to achieve it. We merely have to drain the veg. (I tend to use the steamer these days :wink: )

ichabod – I had no idea there was an etiquette of nose-picking :o I am compelled to use two hands these days – one to provide the erect finger and the other to shove it high enough up. I'm working on giving it up. Could you suggest another reprehensible habit that I might replace it with? I'm sure you're the man for the job :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Does putting a tie round your neck and holding an end in each hand and also holding your glass of wine/beer in one then pulling It up to your mouth with the other class as doing it 'the crazy way' :D xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Making beds..sheets on one side walk round the other with one crutch.then back to the other side ..and like you stairs rather than lifts much to my OHs annoyance..but they are all achievements...baking while sat on my stool covered in flour ...
    Love
    Barbara
  • ichabod6
    Options
    Hello villier,

In days gone by when my right arm was knackered by ra I used to tie a tie to the wrist of that arm put it round my neck and use my left hand and
    arm as a pulley to raise my pint to my lips. There was the occasional spillage and the lads in the club thought it crazy but it was necessary for me.
    Happily those times do not appear too often in my life nowadays.
  • ichabod6
    Options
    Anything to oblige sw.

Being a naturally right handed bloke, I found it difficult to wipe
    my bum with my left hand. Nowadays, thanks to crohns disease,
    said bum is on my belly and the situation is not as acute as it was.On an artistic note I have started to paint watercolours with my left hand and
    some of the results have pleased me.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Love it. :o :shock: :P :D:lol::lol: . Mig
  • stickywicket
    Options
    villier wrote:
    Does putting a tie round your neck and holding an end in each hand and also holding your glass of wine/beer in one then pulling It up to your mouth with the other class as doing it 'the crazy way' :D xx

For most people - yes. For me, that's perfectly normal :lol: We must get together in a pub, Marie. Think of the looks we'd get :lol:
    barbara12 wrote:
    like you stairs rather than lifts much to my OHs annoyance..

Barbara - I nearly added to my post that MR SW always wants to take the lift and doesn't understand why I prefer to struggle :roll:

ichabod - it's essential not to let arthritis rob us of the greater pleasures of life eg beer. I laud your ingenuity - and sang froid. As for the 'crohns problem' - a friend of ours once commented on another mutual friend that the latter was the only person he'd ever met who could make cancer of the rectum seem like fun. It's a gift. Don't lose it - the sense of humour, not the 'bum bag'. (Though, come to think of it.....)

Watercolours, eh? We have a few artists on here. Does arthritis lend itself to art - without the 'hritis'?
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    When I had my wrist fusion, I found I could hang out washing by putting the pegs in my mouth to open them then hold the washing in my one hand and put the peg on with my mouth.
    My jaw isn't exactly in great condition, but it's much better than my hands, so I still sometimes use this method, much to the amusement of my daughter. :D
    Numpty
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    What a creative bunch we are (and can be). I cannot think of anything I do in a crazy way but maybe that's because I'm used to doing things in that way. I will probably give the pint idea a go when things seize - I have one of my late Pa's ties and I know he would appreciate it being used in such a way. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :shock: Crikey Numpty. Now that is crazy. You must have better teeth than me though I'm not sure for how long. May we have the pics please :wink:

I confess, I'm a saddo who spends ages choosing new pegs to ensure I can manage them :roll: – just.
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    :shock: Crikey Numpty. Now that is crazy. You must have better teeth than me though I'm not sure for how long. May we have the pics please :wink: .

:shock: :o :shock:
    How on earth do you think I'd photograph myself doing this! :? Now that would be crazy :lol:
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I was just about to say that DD. What a creative bunch. I don't think it's crazy as I've done it all my life but family, friends and neighbours always ask why I don't take the bus to and from our High Street. We live on top of a hill. It used to take me 10 minutes. It now takes me 15 minutes but I feel it's helping to keep me going. Even the young healthy ones use the bus and think I'm mad. Occasionally, someone will stop the car to give me a lift 'because you look as if you're struggling.' I am but I'm not about to give up.
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    Options
    How on earth do you think I'd photograph myself doing this! :? Now that would be crazy :lol:

Search me. You're superwoman, not me :lol: Maybe you could rig up a peg-activated camera? Or tie it to your nose? Oh never mind, I'll just have to come round and see for myself :lol:

Applerose - good for you. Of course it will be helpful but those blessed with perfect health and unlimited walking ability are unlikely to see the value of it. Keep doing it :D

I recall, before my first TKRs, coming downstairs backwards because it was easier. A friend grumbled "The trouble with you is I never know whether you're coming or going." :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I learned on here about descending stairs backwards - that was a revelation. And then, of course, we have that useful sticky about hints and tips, I re-read that every now and again to remind me about some of the better ways to solve a problem. I've done the plastic-bag-on-a-chair thing for years now but both our late Ma's refused because they weren't 'disabled': they were thanks to the depredations of extreme age but luckily, due to 'youth', I was able to think with flexibility and accept the increased practicality of more easily arising from the table. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Pouring hot liquids - I do that the crazy (and dangerous) way most times. When Mr LV says 'why didn't you say something, I would have done it' I think, what and deprive myself of the excitement of nearly scalding myself and once again not doing?!

I thought of you today, LV, as I was draining my pan of rice with the sieve balanced precariously on the edge of the sink and the part of the pan handle nearest to the pan (Yup, the hot bit) balanced equally precariously on my left forearm so that my right hand – the one with the fused-but-for-some-reason-currently-*****-painful wrist – twisting the pan and its boiling contents over and into the sieve. This involved twisting my whole upper body over too. An interesting exercise combining balance, range-of-movement and weight bearing which, oddly, my physios never taught me :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I have a stairlift, but apart from first thing in the morning/last thing at night I ' climb' the stairs keeping as low as possible, using hands and feet, much like our poor old dog did. I've never been brave enough to use this method in public, of course. I did it at home last week, only to find one of my grandsons,age 9, standing at the top with his arms folded, saying " hmm, I can see why you need a stairlift Grab."
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Sorry, should have read Gran, not Grab in above post!
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    That's because your physios were never inventive or imaginative enough to think of it as an exercise. There is a rule of fate that says it is always the sorest or most troublesome joint that ends up doing all the work in that situation and it's only whilst it is screaming at you that you realise what a pickle you have once more found yourself. If the hot liquid pouring isn't crazy enough for me these days I can always add a wiggly toddler on a hip with flailing arms into the mix. It adds to the excitement for me! How are there not more scald injuries associated with arthritis?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Good for you, Theresa. You'll get far more exercise that way and set a good example for your grandchildren too. (Don't always take the easy way out.) In the days when we had stairs I used to come down on my bottom :lol:

LV, My Dad was once holding one of mine in one hand and a small glass of orange juice in the other. One of the flailing arms flailed with intent towards the juice. Displaying typical male thought patterns, Dad attempted to save the juice with his other hand. I caught my baby :roll:
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    I can imagine that scenario entirely. :lol: