Back from physio, with crutches

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 13. Aug 2014, 04:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Saw my physio today and the positive thing is that I am discharged in terms of the initial referral which was about my neck, thinks I have got back as much movement in the neck as I'm going to get, so now I just need to keep doing the neck exercises to stop it from stiffening up again, and the shoulder and arm ones to try and prevent the problems there getting any worse.
I discussed my mobility, unfortunately he wasn't able to assess me or give me exercises without a referral for that, but did say that if I an get a letter from the consultant on Friday, he will then prioritise me. However... we talked about my walking, how long, what the problem is etc and that I am leaning more heavily on my stick which is not good. He decided that I might benefit from using crutches, and reccomended I use two rather than one so he issued me with a pair, adjusted themmand took me through how to use them.

I know a lot of you already use these, but although the doctor I saw last week mentioned the possibility I hadn't really thought it would happen. It's the speed, this time last year no mobility problems, October a stick and now crutches. Not feeling great right now.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    In a sense Slosh not a bad appointment at least you know once you see the consultant if need be you will be priority with the physio, I am glad they have given you crutches lets hope they make a bit of a difference meantime. I know what you mean about the speed two years ago my hands looked normal and now I have lumps and bumps everywhere. Lets hope you get some answers on Friday..................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I know it feels like a step backwards but they will help just make sure you don't put all your weight on them and use the legs muscles has much as you can..good luck with the appointment on Friday..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you both. I'm sure they will help but still a shock. Feel very tearful at the moment but at least I have my spa break tomorrow to look forward to although unfortunately I have had to cut that short because of my appointment on Friday.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi Sloshster..
    I understand the feeling of rapid decline etc. I do hope that the crutches help you though. Did you get the ones with the shaped hand grips? I can't remember if you have hand problems (sorry, terrible memory :oops: )
    I have a pair that I have to use sometimes and I get a lot of pain in my hands thanks to the RA.. The shaped ones are much easier on the hands so that's something I would recommend asking about if you suffer with the mitts..

Best wishes and some YBH'S
    xxx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks Tony, and thanks for the hugs. I think they are just standard NHS crutches but the hand grips do seem to be slightly shaped and aren't the hard plastic that the ones my daughter had when she badly sprained her ankle. I do have a bit of weakness/pins and needles in my left hand but not due to arthritis in them but because of the pressure that my cervical spondylosis has put on my spinal,cord/nerves.

I am currently trying to work out how to bling them up a little and what to call them. At the moment they are called Bill and Ben, guess what one of my favourite programmes as a child was!
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    A lot has happened to you in a very short time, Slosh, so no wonder the mental / emotional readjusting is every bit as tricky as the physical one. I think you're doing amazingly well. You state your problems and feelings plainly, with no self-pity and stick around to support others. That, to me, is a great way of coping.

I can understand anyone's dismay at the progress from stick(s) to crutches to rollator to scooter / wheelchair though I can't quite empathise as I just jumped straight to a wheelchair (though only for longer trips). However, I guess it's a matter of whatever helps us to keep mobile and makes possible what would otherwise be impossible.

As the others have said, it sounds like a good appointment with a good, understanding physio. I hope Friday's with the consultant is as useful. I shall be thinking of you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you Sticky, and thanks for the compliment, it means a lot. I know that compared to a lot of others I am lucky as my mobility could be worse. The physio was great, especially as he shouldn't really have issued me with crutches (I was ready to buy a pair if needed but wanted his advice) as my referral was for my neck.

I have christened them Fred and Ginger.

Looking forward to getting away today, and hoping the weather is fine so I can take Fred and Ginger out for a walk in the hotel gardens. Feeling more positive today and Friday I am going over to my daughter's after hospital so will get a fix of cuddles from my Grandsons.
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Slosh
    It does sound a good appointment. I know you might not think so. Can remember the first stick I had....I felt dreadful. Think of the crutches as a "coping mechanism" not giving in or going downhill.....they will let you do things with less pain than before.
    I went from stick to NHS crutches if I had to walk long distances {because of my scoliosis} also a rollator was a big help but then after the fracture I needed crutches to lean on and support me.....previously it was just to keep my balance and they barely touched the floor if you know whit I mean.....When I got these for the fracture I really had to lean on them...still do to a certain extent but I'm trying not to lean on them as much.
    I tried all sorts to make mine look different as a lot of us have done....when DD was on crutches at Christmas she used to go round with flashing lights etc :lol:
    After doing various things to them {nail polish if you are arty and it comes off easily with remover} I decided I had been on crutches for 6 months since the THR then fracture so I would buy myself a pair
    When the fracture does eventually heal and I don't need crutches I still think I'll need them occasionally for my scoliosis so I convinced myself it was worth it.....they are pink with black shiny handles
    Makes me feel better I've got to admit.
    You use anything that helps you. Everything I've had I've had a fight with myself before I accepted it :roll: but have been glad I bought various things
    Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Slosh wrote:
    Friday I am going over to my daughter's after hospital so will get a fix of cuddles from my Grandsons.

:D There is no substitute for cuddles. Despite being extremely addictive they have no nasty side-effects and you can't overdose on them. I hope the pampering goes well to and good luck with your dancing pair :D (I liked Bill and Ben too but I guess calling them that would have made you Little Weed in the middle :lol: No good at all.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    My four year old Grandson is my cuddle monster. Whenever my daughter tells the boys I am visiting he announces "I'm going to sit on Granny's lap" and does just that. Apparently I'm the only person who gets the cuddles from him like this. Luckily his brother isn't jealous and just sneaks in when he can, gives me a hug and a kiss and then climbs off again. My daughter is also a great support and my son-in-law has already said he will push my wheelchair if I get to that stage.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Slosh
    Options
    And thanks Hileena, you are right it was a good appointment, and if I do need more physio it will be good to not just short cut the system but to continue with the same therapist.
    Thanks as well for taking the time to reply with all you have going on.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Just wanted to wish you well, Slosh. Fred and Ginger are good names. I love the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers films - I have quite a few on DVD and they're such 'feel good' movies - wonderful music and fantastic dancing.

It's good to get back onto the forum, even if it's only for a short time. By the way, I love your Julian of Norwich quote - very thought provoking. I had never come across that before.

Take care.

Meg
  • Slosh
    Options
    As you guessed I love the Fred and Ginger films and for my 50th birthday my sister took me to see the stage version of Top Hat with Tom Chambers in tne Fred Astaire role, it was a fantastic show. As you say they are feel good films and pure escapism.

As for the quote it's one I find very helpful.
    Julian of Norwich