Methotrexate and live vaccine

Options
lagloire
lagloire Member Posts: 17
edited 13. Aug 2014, 07:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,
I am travelling to Africa and my GP said I cannot have live vaccine.
Have you ever been in this kind of situation? what did you do to protect yourself against mousquitos, others insects and malaria?
Lagloire

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well done to your GP for being on the ball. It's true we can't have them and I think the only choice is to not go or to take a big risk. Because these are commonly prescribed meds it's easy to forget how powerful they are and how careful we must be with them. I think insurance would also be a problem if you decided to take a risk.

http://www.rheumatology.org.uk/includes/documents/cm_docs/2009/v/vaccinations_in_the_immunocompromised_person.pdf
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello again, lagloire. I've just remembered (I think :roll: ) that you have family in Africa. I can see that this makes the trip far more important than a simple holiday but, unfortunately, doesn't alter the facts. I wonder if it would be worth ringing your rheumatology helpline. I honestly can't see what they could suggest other than what the guidelines say but, in your shoes, I'd be trying everything I could.

I don't suppose it would be possible for you and your family to meet up elsewhere eg S. Europe?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright