Tooth floss

Options
MaggieCowell
MaggieCowell Member Posts: 5
edited 14. Aug 2014, 15:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
This may sound a bit strange but due to poor dexterity and grip I find using dental floss really difficult. Does anyone else have this problem and if so how do you get round it? I use a small headed electric tooth but on my last trip to the dentist was asked to see the hygienist, at a cost of £34 to have tartar removed. This is the first time this has happened and I would like it to be the last!

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

You can buy flossers they are sort of horseshoe shape with handle with floss attached, they are very easy to use if you have problems with your hands. You can buy them in any chemists.....................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi;

I went with the flossers Marie mentions, too.

Recently, I also switched to an electric toothbrush as I was doing a very poor job the manual way.

Hope the flossers work for you.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I have good news and bad news. I use the little things that Marie and Boomer described. For the bottom front teeth that are really close together I turn it round and just use the pointed end as a toothpick as the floss is inclined to get stuck. In no way could I manage without a good electric toothbrush.

Bad news. I get two free visits to the hygienist per year and she always has work to do, not so much between the teeth but behind where, despite assiduous brushing, the tartar still seems to build up.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I use those little flossers too. It doesn't seem to matter how much I brush my teeth (I use an electric toothbrush for 4 minutes, a single tuft brush, a small flosser and mouth wash), my dentist still says I need to do more.
    Christine