We christened Hermione.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 17. Aug 2014, 14:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hermione is my wheelchair, my recent useful purchase. Last Saturday we loaded her, the rollator and our luggage into Beatrice and sallied forth to Kent for a week away. Come Tuesday, once the gales, rain and thunderstorms had stopped we decided to go and see the White Cliffs of Dover from a local viewing point. Once we got there, and I saw the length of the walk, Hermione was duly lugged out, put together and off we went.

It was quite an experience. :D Yes, I promptly became invisible (as warned by mamasmurf), Mr DD was hanging on to Herm for dear life (it was downhill all the way) and it was somewhat bumpy. In fact very bumpy, he seemed to find every dip and lump he could to trundle me through and over (actually that's how he drives so no great surprise there, just not enough suspension on my chariot) but it meant I could get to where we could see what we had come to see.

The return journey was interesting: I took pity on the poor, panting and wheezing man behind me, he stopped to take some pics so I got up and used Hermione as a rollator because I am not willing to be a widow just yet.

It's just dawned on me: I missed a trick here, didn't I? I should have smashed a bottle of prosecco over her and blessed all who ride in her! :wink:

Seriously, buying her was a wise move because it meant I could do more and with him. We had a good week despite the weather, it was lovely not having to do anything or go anywhere unless we chose. Bliss. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well it sounds as though you put Hermione through her paces. Glad she proved to be a success. As for breaking a bottle on her, I'd say get the bubbly but drink it yourselves.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    That sounds like a fun adventure. I'm glad she gave you some freedom and fun. Definitely agree with Slosh, bubbles are for drinking, not smashing!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    :D Wonderful! I'm so glad your brave decision (We all shrink before taking such a step) to buy and use Hermione has proved such a good, useful one.

You are quite right. I, too, found that the wheelchair enabled me to do more and to do it with Mr SW. (I nearly typed 'with Mr DD :shock: I promise you, no :lol: ) I'm afraid I always get ejected for the uphill haul, especially if a lumpy, bumpy path is involved as it is so difficult to push up them. Mind you, I walk better uphill than down so that's my exercise sorted.

Glad you had a lovely week together :D:D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mamasmurf
    mamasmurf Member Posts: 89
    Options
    So pleased that Hermione has made herself useful . Wheely is almost an extension of me these days , I'd pretty much be confined to quarters without her . Check out any shows or concerts that appeal to you too ; you get a good view in the wheeled section and no struggling over and under other concert goers to get to your seat !
    mamasmurf
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,937
    Options
    Hello DD and Hermione
    i hope you have many happy journeys together.
    try not to do to many wheelies.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Glad to see Hermione has been useful, here's to more happy and successful outings. Good on ya Mr DD xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I love that you name your things. I name some of my things too but usually my electrical appliances. :lol:

I'm pleased to hear you feel you've made a good move. I agree with you. I can't remember who said this to me but when I started using crutches, someone on here said that to gain independence, you sometimes need to accept a little help.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Re naming things, my walking stick is Eileen, my crutches are Fred and Ginger, with Fred being the one I use with my right arm as around the house I only use the one and in their films he often did solo dances.

I always name my cars, and when I got my new one I gave the honour of choosing the name to my four year old Grandson, so it has been named Lightening McQueen, you can guess his favourite film. Shame it's only a white fiesta but when I picked it up couldn't believe it when I saw the reg began with LM!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich