Stupid question

Options
Nikkijamie
Nikkijamie Member Posts: 34
Hello all

I hope this post finds you all as well and as pain free as you can be.

My stupid question is I believe I meet the criteria of disabled under the equality act.

Who decides if I am disabled? The gp ?

Any ideas. It's all new to me.

Thanks

Nikki

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I saw Occupational health who decided I met the definition and put it in my report
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I used to be registered as disabled with my local council but I don't think there's any such list now. My understanding is that we are disabled if we define ourselves as such.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've never been officially described as disabled but, as I need to use crutches, a rollator and now a wheelchair, I reckon I am. When I applied for DLA back in 2007 my GP and rheumatologist both supported my claim because my mobility has been an issue for a very long time. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Nikkijamie
    Options
    Thank you for your replies

I've done an occ health referral and I've linked in with my work disability support group.

This is probably not the right forum but it's scary the thought of being classed as disabled and it's not something I'm looking forward to but I'm getting to the point of this disease where it's affective daily activities and the pain is affecting me more.

How do you all cope with the mental side of disability x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I found it very tough at first to see and describe myself as being disabled. But I very clearly was. You get used to it. Now I don't mind at all. It's part of who I am and nothing to be ashamed of,
    Steven Wright
  • Nikkijamie
    Options
    Thanks sticky wicket I think just knowing what's coming after seeing my nan suffer so much is what scaring me most. And also the thought of people disbelieving me as it's not a visibly obvious disability

I'm sure I'll get my head around it and your right it is what we are and nothing to be ashamed of x x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    But you don't know “what's coming after seeing my nan suffer so much”. Things were very different for her. The understanding of arthritis, and the meds, have come on in leaps and bounds just in my arthritic lifetime.

Disease modifying meds do just that – they modify the disease and hold back its progress. That's why now, when people get diagnosed and put on them early, they won't get the classic deformities that people like me or your nan.

This has a kind of odd downside in that I've found, once I began to look disabled, people were far more considerate and understanding. In the days when I was young, looked perfectly normal but was in far more pain than I am now (thanks to replaced joints), I felt a complete fraud when saying I just couldn't do stuff or go places because I'm sure people just don't get it - and why would they :)
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I only aquired the "disabled" tag in June although I knew I fitted the definition, and it was an adjustment and a shock to see it in writing. I've just moved to using two crutches from one stick and while it is great when people are helpful, and when you are shown to the disabled lift etc. I think it's only natural to wish it wasn't needed. One of my best friends said something very helpful, and obvious, which is that I am still the same person inside.

It's a label and as such can have uses but it's only a word and doesn't define me. I am more than my "disability".
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Macshadow
    Macshadow Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Disability doesn't mean any of us is worse! It's a stupid social - I don't know - superstition that if someone is disabled then they are different. No way! We may have difficulties with moving but it doesn't change our point of view, personality or character treats. Don't worry and keep rolling - it's gonna be FINE!