I am seriously unfit

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
edited 20. Aug 2014, 06:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
We went for one of our favourite wheelchair walks today, a circular one round a local reservoir, and Mr SW kindly offered to go his UNfavourite (anti-clockwise) way round because his favourite, clockwise, way involves two very steep hills for me to climb up at the end – very good for my cardio-vascular exercise provided I survive them :roll: He prefers this way to the other because the anti-clockwise way involves a much lesser gradient but a much, much longer hill at the end and, because I've had to walk the first steep, gravelly section of that hill, he has to push me up most of the rest.

He reasoned, correctly, that the clockwise way would be easier for me as various bits of me have been playing silly beggars for a few weeks now so my step-up, cardio-vascular exercises have been very limited. And did it show! I had, ignominiously, to stop halfway up the steep bit and admit to being unfit. That's never happened before. But I'm pleased to report I managed to get out further on and walk two slightly less steep sections with no problems.

I shall pass lightly over the initial steep, downward slope which has one very steep section for walkers and another, longer, zig-zaggy section for chairs. Naturally he took the shorter route as the other is clearly for unfit, inexperienced pushers not Superheros of his ilk :roll: When I realised we were going rather fast and his walking shoes appeared to be skidding over the gravel, I suggested we stopped so that I could get out. He assured me he could manage but when we headed, even faster, directly at a large tree, I insisted.

We are now home, fed and watered and, even better, no bits of me are protesting at the relatively unaccustomed action. I am a happy bunny :D But I must get back to those daily step-ups.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,937
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Sticky
    i know what you mean i push sue in her wheelchair sue does not always feel safe with my driving i have a job holding on the other day she asked for help when the man got by the side of her he was in a wheelchair
    i did not have chance to say.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    It sounds as though you both got a bit of an adrenaline rush though with the steep section and that's good for heart health. I love the logic of Mr SW not using the wheelchair zigzag, designed for wheelchairs :roll:
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have always admired your exercise regime and how conscientiously you do it. I am sure that you will soon return to your better habits because that is what you do. I make plans but they tend to remain as just that. :oops: I must start doing something though, some of my muscles have very little tone (OK, for very little read 'none' ) so I need to find a way of improving them: I think I may borrow your idea of a tin or two in an oven-glove pocket draped over an ankle. :wink:

Bloke-world is a lovely but strange place - mind you, I don't think your roles could be reversed, could they? Now that could be an interesting sight . . . . DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Joan - “sue does not always feel safe with my driving”. Oh I know that feeling so well but well done you for pushing her. That will be good exercise for you.

LV – Are you sure about the adrenaline rush :? I get a lot of them when he's pushing me home from parties after a few pints :lol:

DD – toned muscles? Now we're in Fantasyland. My 'muscles' are completely atonal :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    That's good you can go and have wheelchair walks, it's great that it helps build your muscles even though it knackers you! But the fact your not getting any protests is a very good sign! I get worried when my OH is pushing me, after when we where on holiday and his 2 close shaves when I nearly ended up on the floor and the few times he was drunk in charge of a wheelchair still gives me nightmares!!