OA of the Foot

Options
Vdonn
Vdonn Member Posts: 17
edited 31. Aug 2014, 20:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
After an x ray found out I have severe oa of my right foot, GP has got me an appointment at the Hospital to see the Podiatrist. He said it is severe in 3 different bones & no cartlidge, so painful.
Has anyone had a similar appointment as I would be interested in what happens & what was suggested to them.

A different subject but still to do with OA, I have it in my knee, hands & foot, take Co Codomal when needed. But get people say to me I have a "Bit of OA" take a paracetamols & no pain! Is it me!

Vera

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's not you, Vera. They probably have a very little bit and might even be self-diagnosed :wink:

I hope someone can tell you what will happen with the podiatrist. I've had to wear surgical shoes for so long it'll all have changed by now. I expect he'll make you insoles and tell you the best shoes to put them in. Podiatrists aren't docs but the good ones are very good on feet :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    No, it's not you being you, far from it. I reckon that if they have a 'touch' of OA then for sure they don't have proper OA. :wink: Hurty feet are not pleasant but I don't know of anything that helps in the long-term. I have not seen an NHS podiatrist but I have attended NHS orthotics (thanks to my rheumatologist referring me) the insoles I received were custom-made, and it took me a while to adjust, but they have helped my knees face the front. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tenbury
    tenbury Member Posts: 52
    Options
    The only advise I can give is make sure you go in well worn shoes, they look at them to see how you walk on each side, sadly it went in new shoes and so the insoles didn't work for me. Good luck.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I think I was confusing my podiatrist with my orthotist earlier :oops: I have both. The orthotist is the one who deals with my shoes and insoles. The podiatrist just cuts my toenails.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • AmandaJones
    AmandaJones Bots Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi Vdonn, you may require wider shoes. A comfortable, padded pair of sneakers is your best bet to keep your feet free from pain. If it is difficult to find shoes that fit because of swollen or misshapen joints, try extra depth footwear. This is a great way to ease foot and toe pain.

Proper shoes can provide welcome relief and often improved function for patients with foot damage from arthritis. When picking out a shoe, ALWAYS try on several pair and walk around, in them before purchasing.

I am yet to diagnose with foot OA (Thank lord :wink: !!) But whenever I have foot pain, I dissolve a handful of Epsom salts in the bath to increase the water density and make my feet float effortlessly. This helps to a great extent.

Amanda
  • Vdonn
    Options
    Thanks to you all for your answers. I have 2 comfortable pairs of shoes, one lace ups & the others with Velcro both from a company starting in H! Will wear the lace ups when I see the Foot Doctor, as they are well worn in. Slip ons are no good now as the muscles in my thighs are damaged so need ones that keep on my feet. Not ready for all this at 62 & use to walk 8 miles with no trouble, but at least I can still do some walking as long as its on even ground.

Vera
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I have OA in my feet. My rheumie sent me to the orthotist where I tried several sole inserts. Some made no difference and one was too painful to walk in. I now wear shoes with a lot of padding in the soles. I used to be a half marathon runner and still have a pair of running shoes which are ok for walking in for a while longer.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I too have Sketchers but I would advise not to go a size smaller - our feet swell during the day, I have gel insoles in mine and when they get tighter I remove the insole. DD
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Oh Vera the OA in my foot can be excrutiating and I cannot even put it on the ground. But other times I get very little pain..

I'm size 6 but tried on my Sons's size 9 crocs while on holiday and they were wonderful. After a while my 2nd toe rubbed (it is longer than my big toe, apparently that means my ancestors were Greek) but overall they were grt.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I have a few pairs of crocs. Only wear them in the house but they are very comfy.
    Christine
  • bluebunner
    bluebunner Member Posts: 43
    Options
    I'm interested in this one as I get severe sharp pains in my feet, but not all the time.

I have had a new knee and have OA in the other, just wonder if I have OA in my feet as well?

The pains I get in the feet are similar to the severe sharp pains in the knee on the inside ?

When I get them I definitely can't walk at all as I can't put my foot down on the floor.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    bluebunner wrote:
    I'm interested in this one as I get severe sharp pains in my feet, but not all the time.

I have had a new knee and have OA in the other, just wonder if I have OA in my feet as well?

The pains I get in the feet are similar to the severe sharp pains in the knee on the inside ?

When I get them I definitely can't walk at all as I can't put my foot down on the floor.

I'd just had a THR and then my foot started hurting badly a month or two later so the rheummy gave me an xray and then she could see the OA.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Vdonn
    Options
    Thank you for all of your replies. Not going to buy any news shoes until I have been to the Hospital in September & see what they advise, find Hotter shoes so comfortable & plenty of room in them.

My foot has been painful for several years but blamed the trainers I was wearing. After being diagnosed with OA of the knee decided it was time to get my foot looked at, yes you know us women. I have severe OA in 3 bones & some in others in the foot. GP said he could see it was bad as have lots of bony lumps, not a pretty sight. The cartlidge has gone so also get severe pain at times & have to stop walking.

Now the pain in my foot & knee never seems to go but refuse to take Co Cos all of the time.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Even though I take regular (albeit small) doses of cocos the pain is always there, 'tis the nature of the beast. :( I like Hotter shoes too, they offer good support and a roomy toe box. I have PsA affected toes and OA in my ankles - they are 'helping' matters by growing new bone. :roll: DD
  • 19smp59
    19smp59 Member Posts: 105
    Options
    I have generalised OA and suffer pain in a lot of my joints. I agree, a lot of people do self-diagnose, they have pain in a joint and automatically say it's arthritis. I also find that if a person does have arthritis in one joint then every time they feel a bit of pain elsewhere they automatically diagnose arthritis in that joint. Also, different people have a different perception of pain and what one person can easily put up with another person will really struggle with.

Oh, shoes! I have OA in my feet and really suffer with the pain and Hotter shoes are brilliant. I have also found that M&S shoes with Insolia are also very comfortable. I bought some knee length boots last year that were really comfortable and have bought another pair this year. Well worth trying.