Would have made a good training video...

daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 22. Aug 2014, 14:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had an appointment at a clinic today - nothing to do with OA - which was a series of 'how not to' incidents from the moment I was called from the waiting area. No greeting, no 'please sit down', no name/job title given, no explanation of how the appointment would be conducted or what its purpose was. I was informed that he didn't understand the GP's letter of referral and so was unclear as to why I was there. His manner verged on aggressive when asking questions -why don't you have any Xrays, how was the diagnosis made, why aren't you on medication. I was too astonished to be upset, and once he started saying things that were just downright incorrect I just left him to it rather than try and engage in any sort of discussion.
An interesting experience, and fortunately not one which blighted my day as I hadn't expected much from it anyway, and the decision to do some shopping in the nearby Waitrose resulted in a free cuppa and paper to read and a chance meeting with a friend I hadn't seen for a while.

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Well that sounds downright rude,methinks the forum pocket gang is called for. :x Sending some hugs (((()))) Mig
  • daffy2
    Thank you Mig. I may need to request pocket duties in due course as I am supposed to go back to the clinic after I've had an x-ray done. Disbelief at what was going on got me through this time but a repeat visit might be more difficult if I see the same person again. I see my GP in a couple of weeks, it's a pity I won't have time to run some of the 'facts' I was given past her - I would love to see her reaction!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh dear, Daffy, that was far from good. I would have amused myself by putting him in his place by stating 'Oh, are we being filmed? Is this a training video in how not to behave towards a patient? What fun!'

His powers-that-be need to know about this appalling behaviour; it could be that he himself has some difficulties with social interaction but if that is the case then he needs to be doing more back-room stuff, not front-of-house. I am glad that your day improved, I have yet to work out how to get my free coffee in that august establishment. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Oh Daffy, that's rubbish. I think I met him a few years back though. He got very angry with me and told me I needed to go outside and exercise more. I pointed and read the first line of the consultant letter he was holding which stated I regularly walked ten miles when I was feeling well enough (those were the days). He mumbled a bit after that. I'm not sure why you'd choose a job like medicine if you can't be polite and pleasant to people.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Crikey! You'd need a cuppa after that, daffy. He clearly felt you shouldn't have been referred and was wasting his time but why take it out on you? You didn't make the referral? Maybe he was having a tough day but, again, that's not your problem or fault.

I'm glad serenity was restored thanks to a coffee, paper and friend.

DD – you get a Waitrose card to have a free coffee every visit.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    I have the card, I'm just sure about the protocol: I see people making their coffees, is it before or after you shop that you can do this? :? DD (who is a bag of social nerves)
  • Susiesoo
    Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
    I recently had a similar appointment with my Rheumatologist. He had two students with him and they were curled up in the corner trying to escape through the wall. That's what it looked like to me anyway. Very unpleasant and unnecessary. He said he will see me in a year. That's what he thinks. Just need to work out how to see someone else now. Fortunately I didn't have anything I wanted to ask or discuss with him. This has happened before and after that appointment I saw him privately and he was niceness personified. That won't be happening again!

Good luck with next appointment. I will be in your pocket.

Susie
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I guess a private appointment gives the consultant more time and less stress so it's easier for them to be relaxed but, if yours is normally uncommunicative in the NHS hospital yet all sweetness and light when you're paying him to be, that wouldn't go down well with me either, Susiesoo.

DD, I think you just show your receipt and card at the till.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    DD I sympathise with the uncertainty about protocol.I plucked up courage and asked in the end. I don't get the opportunity to take advantage as often as I would like as it's a twenty mile round trip to my nearest shop, but I found out that I could get said beverage from the cafe by showing them my card, which is what I choose to do so that I can have my drink in a cup and sitting at a table, rather than juggling a hot beaker in the car. On Tuesday I spent enough on my shopping to qualify for the free paper as well so was perusing the Grauniad until my friend suddenly appeared.
  • dreamdaisy
    Ah Daffy, methinks that you and me would get on reasonably well in 'real life'. I too mention The Grauniad on a frequent basis, mainly because Mr DD made a one-man-and-totally-unacknowledged-stand against the Murdoch Empire by switching his Sunday paper from The Sunday Times to The Observer (The Grauniad by another name, yes? :wink: ) Thank you for the advice about the free drinkies (and Sticky too) - I will give it a whirl next week. DD