muscle pain

brandy192
brandy192 Member Posts: 73
edited 21. Aug 2014, 23:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
sHi I have oa in knees and other parts knees being the most severe bone on bone. As I am overweight I am currently trying to shed some pounds and increase the amount of exercise I do. I have seen a physio who gave me some stuff to do for strengthening my leg muscles and recently I have started swimming. I think that overall the joint pain is slightly better but find that my muscles in my legs constantly hurt do this get better and how long will it take for me to feel comfortable. Also has anybody got any encouraging stories of losing weight and improving pain as I need some hope that I will be able to get more mobile eventually.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I think it's only logical that muscles would protest at first if they're suddenly coerced into exercise. Swimming, though a very good exercise for arthritics, can be a bit deceptive in that it's very easy, while supported by the water, to overdo things at first. We have to build up gradually despite the fact that, having invested time and effort into getting undressed, we might feel we want to get our money's worth at each session :lol:

As for 'encouraging stories', how about this from Arthritis Care's News page:

'Professor Conaghan says that while obesity is only one of the risk factors for OA (9) it is a key factor in the severity of symptoms, and in being able to keep moving and exercising: 'We need to shift our approach to dealing with OA.  Millions of Britons are in constant pain, compounded by their inability to exercise.  Knees in particular evolved to carry a particular amount of weight and many are literally doubling the load on these joints. A 10 per cent reduction in overall body weight – a substantial, yet achievable, amount - can have a substantial impact on pain levels endured (9,10).'
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/NewsRoom/Latestnewsstories/obesity-risk-for-arthritis
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • brandy192
    Thanks sticky you are spot on swimming allows you to move alot more freely and I think I just overdid it abit going again today and will try to contain myself a bit. Good article it makes sense rather than just sitting around taking tablets.
  • stickywicket
    I hope the swimming helps. Do keep us informed of your progress please, Brandy :)
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I agree with Sticky, your muscles are probably protesting about the demands being made upon them. :wink: Hydrotherapy and swimming are very deceptive, you feel wonderful when you're in then gravity and the consequences hit. :( It'll be an initial faff but my plan would be this.

Weeks 1 - 3; swim every third day, five minutes of swim, five of rest holding onto the side and floating, then another five minutes.

Weeks 5 - 8; swim every third day, eight minutes of swimming, five of rest then another eight swimming.

Continue to build the amount of activity but do it gradually, yes? I reckon that is the key. Good luck, you are doing the right thing and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • brandy192
    Thanks dreamdaisy your plan is a good one I went swimming yesterday and didnt go mad like I did the first time my muscles felt a bit better this morning its so nice to get in the water and feel the weight being taken off my joints and to enjoy it as well is a bonus
  • stickywicket
    Good :D I'm glad that was better.
    Steven Wright
  • AmandaJones
    AmandaJones Bots Posts: 36
    Hi Brandy, we are in a same boat. I have a hip OA and being overweight, it is challenging to manage pain. Not sure about weight loss, but it seems I have succeeded to manage pain to some extent through hydrotherapy :P . Diminished weight-bearing stress is one of many of the advantages of pool therapy for osteoarthritis patients.

The benefits of hydrotherapy can be enhanced several folds by changing the temperature of water, introducing different types of movements and exercises as well as duration or frequency of hydration therapy regimens. I use warm water to pacify my aching joints and swollen muscle, whereas Cold water is used to increase impulse conduction and reduce acute pain or tissue swelling by numbing and calming the pain receptors.

Nevertheless, importance of losing weight remains essential :cry: . In fact, for every pound of weight loss there is a four pound reduction in the load exerted on the knee.

Thanks, Amanda