Feldene Gel 0.5%

Options
CharlieBrown08
CharlieBrown08 Member Posts: 3
edited 30. Aug 2014, 19:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been applying this gel for the last 6 days and it has improved the amount of pain in my Arthritic knee.

My question is:
Whilst the pain is at a minimum do I leave off applying the gel until it re appears or just continue to apply it?

CB

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello CB and welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid it's years since I tried anything of the kind though I do recall taking Feldene anti-inflammatory pills at one point.

I'd guess you go by either what it says on the packet or what your GP has suggested.

If you stop and it gets worse again, you have your answer :) Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • brandy192
    brandy192 Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Hi I use peroxicam gel which I believe is the same as feldene I use it everyday to keep the inflamation down dont really know what the doctor recommends he just prescribes it for me as I cant take anti inflamatory tablets. If I stop using it I can feel my knees tightening in a few days.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am pleased it has helped and, in your shoes, I would keep applying it because it hasn't 'cured' the trouble as such. I suggest that you go and see your GP and discuss it, with a view to discovering how to establish a maintenance dose. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • CharlieBrown08
    CharlieBrown08 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    The Feldene Gel appears to be in short supply at my Pharmacy so I have been considering buying some Voltarol 1.16% Gel.

Does this product have the same or sort of same effect with arthritis as the Feldene Gel?

Regards.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Probably is my reply, my guess it's the same kind of dog but with a different piece of string. It may be worth comparing the ingredients or asking the pharmacist - they are knowledgeable people. If you try it I hope it helps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Hi CharlieBrown8,

I too was put on Feldene, but four weeks ago after three weeks of hell with my left knee.

My knee starting aching almost constantly and locking on occasions from late April and Ibuprofen and 30/500 cocos gave some relief and by late May my doctor referred me to a physio and changed my Ibuprofen to Diclofenic (which I put off taking until early July as I was concerned about the possible effects, especially as I was going to be travelling in Australia for four weeks).

Whilst the trip over wasn't much fun, it was a dream compared to the flight back! A day after I got back here I thought I should start taking the diclofenic as the Ibuprofen wasn't helping.

After three weeks of almost constant pain wondering how long I could put off buying a walking stick I went to see the doctor as the diclofenic tablets were running low and I needed a new script – instead I was put on Feldene, like yourself, and with a lot of scepticism, and I do mean a lot, I gave the Feldene a try and within a day I gained a lot of relief. I was also given a repeat of the diclofenic to take as required and I've only had to take it twice since then.

Over the past three years since my diagnosis I've made an effort to get out walking as much as I can, on the use it or lose it theory – as well as to try and keep my weight down. The difference between trying to walk in July and August was like chalk and cheese – I still have uncomfortable days, but fortunately they're not often, however, I have inadvertently dropped my Feldene from three applications a day to two – I say inadvertently as I found I'd forget to apply the gel during the afternoon, but I apply it morning and night whether I think I need it or not.

Oh, and during the week I was finally contacted by the physio to phone to make an appointment, which I will do.

I don't know about you CharlieBrown8, but I'm gonna keep using the gel, even if it's just twice a day – I'm not gonna be a hero and risk seeing if I can survive without it.

Good luck.
    Scozzie