RA with no pain???

Options
emsjane
emsjane Member Posts: 351
edited 21. Aug 2014, 06:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

Can someone be diagnosed with RA but not have any pain, just swelling? And why is it?

A friend of mine told me today that her blood test had shown high levels of inflammation, but she says she's not in pain!
LOVE EMMA X

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    This is a new concept for me, Emsjane but I'd love to know more about it please. Like, where can I acquire it :lol:

Is your friend on DMARDS?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • emsjane
    emsjane Member Posts: 351
    Options
    No she's not! She's only just been diagnosed. I'm wondering if it's just because it's in the early stages at the moment why she's not in pain!?
    LOVE EMMA X
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    We're not rheumatologists so can't say but it wouldn't surprise me, it has cropped up on here before. Thank you for the clarifications, I am sure the pain will come but, if they get her on the DMARDs and NSAIDs hopefully that won't be for a little while yet. She might also have a higher pain threshold than others. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Back in the early stages of my Arthritis I would get swollen knees without any pain, sadly this didn't last more than a year or so. You have to remember that swelling = joint damage which eventually will cause pain. Hopefully they can start drugs ASAP to be one of the lucky ones who catch it in its very early stages and hopefully significantly slow down the damage it causes.