Methotrexate

Options
Kitty
Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
edited 28. Aug 2014, 16:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was on Methotrexate injections for about 5 years, but had to stop last year while I had chemo. I'm hoping my rheumy will put me back on it again. Has anyone ever been put back on Methotrexate after stopping it for a while?

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yup. Been there, done that :D

In fact my introduction to meth was when it was part of my chemotherapy. I was surprised and pleased at how well my joints were 'without medication' :roll:

I've stopped it twice before ops, the first time for about 12-14 weeks all told and the second for just about 3 as, by then, my surgeon had decided it didn't make much difference.

I know there are some meds I've been on (Penicillamine might be one) where I was told you can't re-start it - hence the meth - but I've been fine re-starting meth. Good luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I had a break for pregnancy and went back on them, I increased my dose over a month or so and had regular bloods but it was fine. Hope it works for you
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options
    Thank you.

The reason I asked is because my Dermatologist didn't want to put me on Methotrexate for my Nodular Prurigo even though it's a recognised treatment for that condition, because of my cancer! I'm clear now, so I can't understand his reasoning. Almost makes me glad I have RA, as I'm really, really hoping my rheumy will put me back on it.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Good Luck with it Kath, at least now you are harmed with the info when you see your rheumy..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • AmandaJones
    AmandaJones Bots Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi
    You will find many like them. There many conditions when your doc may advise you to stop taking meth for some period like TTC, infection, troubled liver enzyme values etc.

It should be safe to restart considering your rheumy keeps a watch on your liver enzymes and other vital functions and regular blood work is done. Discuss thoroughly the pros & cons of restarting the Mtx and concurrent dose of folic acid with your doc.

Hope you get on well on MTX, again.

My best wishes, Amanda.
  • smith653
    smith653 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, im new on here so i dont know if im doing it right.
    I was on methotrexate injections, but after lots of xrays,tests and mri scan (due to having a bad chest and feeling awful) they found something wring with my lymph nodes in my neck,chest and lungs, so i was taken off them. They thoughtihad lymphoma but after biopsies and the camera they have diagnosied me with sarcoidosis, which ithink was caused by the injections, i have been on steroids for several months abd have starflted back on netotrexate tablet form,trouble is im worried about developing a new disease, as my immune system is always low.im also knakerd after taking them, and feel so sick, im 23 and feel like im fifhting a loosing battle, im sick of feeling ill. thanks