general advice needed!

Options
rjc2707
rjc2707 Member Posts: 10
edited 24. Aug 2014, 03:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm after some advice if anyone can help.
I'm 33 and got rheumatoid arthritis. I got officially diagnosed around 3 years ago. I take mtx and hydroxychoriqine and have done since diagnosis. I work in a very stressful job and work long long hours. I am getting to the point where physically and mentally I am worn out and really struggling with joint pain and fatigue. I would love to have a career break to recuperate and maybe learn new skills to jet a job in a different sector. My issue like many people in my position is financial. I have 2 very young children and a mortgage to pay and am not in a position to take a drastic pay cut. Any advice would be appreciated as I don't really know what I should do for the best.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello rjc2707. It's good to meet you but I'm sorry you had to find us.

As you'll be aware stress and arthritis are not a good mix. No wonder you're struggling. It might be that our Helpline people could be of use. You can phone (The number's at the top of the page) and talk things through or, if you prefer, email or leave a thread on their forum. The only other things I can think of are:
    https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/Pages/Home.aspx
    http://www.careers-guide.com/advice.htm
    Or, if you are university educated, your old uni might have some help to offer.

This is a very difficult situation, isn't it? I have RA and am also on meth and hydroxy but in the luxurious position of being retired. I did have RA in my '30s when I also had two young children but mine was such that it was impossible for me to work so we had to manage on just my husband's wage. It wasn't always easy and our boys missed out on a lot that their friends had but it doesn't seem to have done them any harm. However, I appreciate that the situation with your mortgage is a really tough one.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • AmandaJones
    AmandaJones Bots Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi rjc2707,

I am sorry to find you in this position. It’s indeed a tough decision. We all know how difficult it can be to find the relevant information on what benefits are available, particularly when struggling just to cope with everyday activities.

Below is the link from national RA society, UK, where they have compiled the main benefits that could be available to people with rheumatoid arthritis. http://www.nras.org.uk/data/files/Publication/Benefits and RA V2.pdf

I hope you will find that this guide will make it easier for you to understand how to find out more about benefits that may be relevant for you and your family. They have mentioned that if you are unable to work because of the effects of rheumatoid arthritis and if you are a lone parent to young children, you may be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance.

Hope it helps to some extent. Sorry I don’t have any hard and fast solution for you but I definitely feel it’s a time to look out for your own health first before it takes a toll on you; so when you return, you are in best healthy state of your mind and body.

Amanda.
  • rjc2707
    rjc2707 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I think I need to have a good chat with my wife and see what our options are
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Does your wife work? If not what about swopping roles for a while?
    Job centre plus might be able to give some advice on retraining depending on what you want to do.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Could you and your wife do something between you workwise? We have two young children and a mortgage, I'm the higher earner but we decided with the children and my arthritis it made most sense to have my husband work full time and me part time. We aren't rich and it is a bit tough but that work/life balance means I'm not working massive long hours, we don't pay for childcare and in theory I'm not putting too much pressure on my body/can have quieter days at home with the girls. I know for me just having a day without having to be up and out at a set time helps. Before the girls I worked 4-4.5 days a week and just clawing back that little bit of time helped me a lot in terms of managing the fatigue without too much of a pay cut.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter