Finding it hard to cope

TeaBag
TeaBag Member Posts: 101
edited 11. Dec 2015, 04:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
I Have Inflammatory Arthritis and OA i need a knee replacement which i am being reassessed for in April 2015 i seen my Rheumy consultant last week and was given an injection to try to calm the swelling ..they also said they think i have Fibromyalgia as well (sp) pain this week has been extreme mainly in my knee i had a fall on tuesday night which hasnt helped i take 150 mg Tramadol in the morning 5.30 and again about 4pm at the minute i am getting about on 2 sticks and life is becoming unbearable do any f you have any advice for easing pain or trying to make life easier i have a 9 yr old who i look after myself and need to be able to get about for him.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh dear! You are in a pickle, aren't you, Teabag? I had my first TKRs when one son was 10 and the other 7 so I can appreciate the dilemma. I did have Mr SW around though, albeit at work most of the day.

I think it was a period when I just muddled through from day to day, doing what I could and trying not to worry about the vast amount of stuff I couldn't. Do you have any family or friends who could help with odd things? I remember my Mum used to do some ironing for me. At 9 your son should be able to pull his weight a bit ie tidying, washing up etc.

Did your rheumatologist give any advice as to what you should do if the injection didn't help? Are your inflammation levels OK? Sorry, lots of questions but no real answers. Maybe something here will help http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/LivingwithArthritis/Self-management/Managingpain
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Oh Teabag
    You are having a rough time......When I had my THR's my children were away from home so just hubby and I
    I have OA, Scoliosis, Osteoporosis among other things
    I'm on 2 crutches at the moment
    Do you have anyone who can help you?
    I'm sorry I'm not being much help
    Sending (((())))
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have fibro plus PsA which has led to OA in far too many useful leg joints. Luckily for me, however, I am a retired childless old bat so only have me and 'im indoors to look after.

Firstly, two sticks may not be ideal in terms of support and balance, two elbow crutches may be better (I've been using two crutches for years). Secondly, nothing helps with pain for any length of time, you are already on the strong stuff but maybe a pain patch may be a better option, your GP can advise about this but don't expect no pain because that cannot be achieved: pain is part-and-parcel of our conditions. Thirdly, delegation. Your lad is of an age where he can begin to take on some of the more domestic aspects of life such as helping with food preparation, clearing, cleaning etc. Children like being given responsibility and this is a good way for him to begin to learn about that and caring for another.

I do many household chores from a seated position because that eases the strain on my toes, ankles, knees and hips. It is more awkward for some things but as I cannot stand still for longer than a couple of minutes it's the way it has to be. When household kit has needed replacing I have done so with lighter models to help the fingers, wrists and shoulders. I do a little then rest a little, another useful strategy.

I hope you get your knee next year because that should improve matters for you. We each have to find our own ways of managing and coping - have you read through the tips to make life easier sticky at the top of this board? There might be some useful suggestions in there for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello teabag I really do feel for you and thank my lucky stars that my family had left home when I started with OA....like DD says I use crutches must more stable and I don't twist like I did with sticks..maybe you need a change of meds ..we get use to whatever we take and they don't work the same..have you been referred to a pain clinic, they can help with different meds..I do hope you get some relief very soon..((())) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • TeaBag
    Thanks for the reply ..i tend to sit on a computer chair while doing the hoovering which does help, other bigger things will have to wait thankfully my bedroom and bathroom are down stairs ..i will be going back to my GP this week once i can get an appointment and will ask to be referred to the pain clinic ..one of my problems is i take warfarin which rules out a lot of other meds .onwards and upwards :wink:
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Can you supervise cooking lessons with your son? He would really enjoy it, you'd give him a life skill whilst taking some burden from yourself and having a sit down in the mix. Just an idea, I'll try and think of other things but maybe lots of little changes like that might help?
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    I hope the GP can help. Please let us know how you get on.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hello Teabag, I'm sorry you are having such a tough time at the moment. It must be hard with a nine year old, but I agree with those who have suggested he would probably welcome some responsibility. One of my grandsons is 9, and he's always eager to do things for me which he knows I can't manage.

I also bought a ' perching stool ' which can be sat at workgroups or ironing boards to make tasks a bit easier.

Hope things improve soon for you.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Lets us know how you get on Teabag..it can be rough ..but if you talk to us lots it will help a little..((())) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • celebrationb
    celebrationb Member Posts: 134
    Hi Teabag. Sorry your having a bad time, for a while I was having a bad time, :( but the support and advice that is given to me for the forum was sooooo good and knowing that there are lovely people to hear you and give advice was brill. i wish you all the luck and listen to the forum as its helped me.
    I have two kids at 18, 20 they have been very helpfull and so has my hubby. Maybe make you son helping you into a game or tell him you love him helping as a mother son time together. :)
    I decided that my oa is not stopping me now.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, we're nearly a week on now since your first post, how are things going? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • TeaBag
    Been a while since I have been on in that time I have became a grandmother :D to a gorgeous baby boy and just last Friday I was put on the waiting list for a full knee replacment ...I also have had a visit from an OT who id getting me hand rails and a shower seat to make things easier pain has got no worst but no better ...and I fell again in June and broke my Toe .. :roll: how have you all been ?
  • stickywicket
    Hello again, Teabag :D I'm glad things are no worse than before and it sounds as if some things are considerable better with the prospect of a new knee, the OT's provisions and, of course, the new grandson.

As you can see we are all still here, muddling along as usual. No cure as yet :lol:
    Steven Wright