nodules

rjc2707
rjc2707 Member Posts: 10
edited 24. Aug 2014, 08:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have rheumatoid arthritis, diagnosed about 3 years now. I found a lump on the bone of my middle finger a couple of months ago that was quite small and painless. The lump is right at the base of the finger. Over time it has got bigger (around the size of a pea) and is now quite painful and restricting movement a bit. I have also been suffering more flare ups recently and generally feeling quite unwell. Could this be a nodule? Has anyone else had anything similar? Wanted to get some advice before I bother a doctor

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It could be a nodule. It might not be though. I have / have had loads of these. Some have come and gone: others have come and stayed. I don't think they're usually painful though so the pain and restriction of movement coupled with flares, could be a sign of your disease being not under control.

I think you should ring your rheumatology helpline. The GP can only prescribe pain relief and it sounds as if you need your DMARDS increasing or altering. You will not be 'bothering' anyone. It's their job. The longer you leave the situation the worse it will get and then it will be harder all round to get you back on track.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • rjc2707
    rjc2707 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the reply. I am going to get an appointment with my gp this week I think.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hi;

I get firm, painful lumps on tendons near inflamed joints and have some hard, bony ones near my elbows. The bony ones do not get smaller ever, but the tendon bumps, which are horridly painful, seem to go up and down in size depending on flares and where I'm at with general inflammation. I have PsA so the tissues involved are likely different than yours but in general, if they are there I think it means your disease is active and in no way should you feel like a bother to your rheum. Especially since you say you are having other symptoms as well. If your disease is active despite your meds, then your rheum needs to know this so your meds' dosage or type can be changed.

Sticky is right:
    The longer you leave the situation the worse it will get and then it will be harder all round to get you back on track.

Take care.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello and welcome to the forum
    I have OA at the min and have around 3 nodule two painful and one is not..if you are unwell and in pain I would make an appointment I know its not easy keep going to your GP but its what they are there for..sorry Im not much help but I hope you can get some relief very soon.
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    rjc2707 wrote:
    I am going to get an appointment with my gp this week I think.

The GP doesn't have the power to alter your DMARDS. Ring your rheumatology helpline instead.

How have your blood results been?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright