reducing work hours and benefits

Options
rjc2707
rjc2707 Member Posts: 10
I am seriously considering reducing my working hours but need some advice on the benefits system. I have never claimed before. I have tried to claim pip and dla in the past both unsuccessfully. How would I go about seeing what my options are? I'm not sure how much longer I can carry on working 60-70 hours per week!

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    60 -70 hours a week? If this is correct then I would suggest that uless this is because of paid overtime which you have agreed to do then you need to speak to your manager and/or union as there is a Working Time Directive which applies to most jobs and places a limit on how many hours you can legally work a week.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • rjc2707
    rjc2707 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for the reply slosh.
    I am a retail manager and we are put under huge pressure all the time. I am salaried therefore don't get paid overtime. I am the main breadwinner in our household and am worried that if I quit or reduce hours that it will significant ly impact on our situation like bills and mortgage.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Check with your union, or join one, I would also suggest you contact your organisation's Occupational Health scheme for advice. However do check out that guidance on working hours as anyone's health would suffer working those hours, hence the ruling and directive. Do you have contracted hours? I presume so, so I would suggest thst you start working to those hours, and looking at what you do, as a manager do you need to start to delegate more? Delegation is an art that I have learnt along with prioritising. It might also be worth requesting an Access to work assessment.
    I have a pressured job with no set hours, and have had to look hard at what I do at work, delegate and let go of some things and then do the essential.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich