I had a little accident.

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 1. Sep 2014, 02:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
It's quite unusual to walk face first into the wall and end up with a nose that's dislocated, broken and in need of surgery, not to mention the concussion. So, ending up face first on a wall just a few years after my last incident, you can imagine my surprise and disappointment.

I imagine that I will end up at a walk in clinic tomorrow :( but hopefully I won't need A&E nor surgery this time. I'm just getting settled at work and I'm starting to get busy.

If I could kindly ask you to please keep your fingers crossed for me that it's just soft tissue swelling and that my horrible post-wall headache will go away by the time the working week starts.

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ouch!
    Definitely got my fingers crossed that the swelling goes down and you don't have to spend tomorrow at A and E.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I hope it isn't a total repeat performance of last time. How did you manage it? I'm thinking of you, sending lots of ((((((())))))) and hoping all will be well.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,933
    Options
    Hello Starburst
    i'm sorry you hurt yourself soft tissue is painful enough i hope its good news.
    take care.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Is it all walls you try to head butt or just a specific kind :o

I hope you are now in recovery and the headache has lessened. It sounds like a nasty experience bringing back nasty memories. I do hope you can avoid the walk-in centre let alone surgery. Please have a very easy day today.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Poor you. Hopefully no lasting damage.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Oh dear, sounds very painful - I hope you can get away without any visits to hospital, walk-in centres et al, and you soon feel better.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh Sophie, you poor thing. I hope the damage is not too deep and that things will heal soon. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Oh dear Sophie hope it hasn't come to you having to go to A@E and a repeat of last time, do take it easy today which I am sure you are, some (((())) for you.................tc...............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, how's things today? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you all kindly. After talking it through with my friend who's a GP, I decided against any medical intervention. The only real treatment would be a small operation to straighten the nose bone under general anaethetic. It's mostly for aesthetic purposes and it needs to be done within 14 days of the accident which is totally inconvenient given the new job. I would also need 2 weeks off work post-op to reduce the infection risk.

The inner cartilage was quite damaged last time and I imagine it's even worse now. I will need to gear myself up to having a bigger operation to rebuild the mess so I can breathe properly but until then, ice and pain dullers are the treatment.

I've been feeling quite down and miserable over the past couple of days. :?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oh Sophie, no wonder! You cope so well with all that arthritis chucks at you so now life has engineered another problem. I like your solution. It's a good one and a practical one and one that does not allow either the arthritis or the nasal problem to sneak to the forefront of your life. It will be sorted in the long run and, meanwhile, you can get on with the truly important stuff like your new job. A very gentle one ((()))
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Oh Sophie, if it helps to cheer you up then know I think you are a bright and shiny starburst and a bashed nose can't dull your shine and amazing bedazzlement for too long. Time to cheer yourself up thinking up exciting reasons for walking into walls as way of explanation to others. My suggestion is you had to fight the Incredible Hulk to save your dashing other half who he was trying to kidnap due to jealousy over you (((((())))))
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Oh dear Sophie, I am sorry to hear this. Keep going with the ice packs. The only other treatment that helps me after my "incidents" resulting in bruising, is arnica. It seems to really help with bruising. Not sure if it goes with your other meds, though. I recently walked into a glass door at my opthamologists office-- ouch, then later at home, I cracked my forehead on a low-slung 2x6 in our basement :o Goose egg x2, but not my nose, thankfully. That's is such a painful area!

Take care. Life's an adventure, isn't it?
  • Starburst
    Options
    You are all so kind and wonderful, it makes me feel fuzzy inside. Truth be told, the last month has been a bit miserable as I've struggled to adjust to a busy and difficult job, so it's lovely to know I have you lot. It keeps me going when I feel lonely and want to hide from the big, scary world.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Hope your nose is starting to feel a bit better now. Remember to try and pace yourself at work. Starting a new job is never easy, it takes a while to settle in and just get used to it, and there's also a lot of learning to do. In the end you will get more done if you do manage to pace yourself and take rest breaks etc.

Mind you it is easy to say this, harder to do.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • TeaBag
    TeaBag Member Posts: 101
    Options
    Hope you are feeling a bit better now ,my son fainted and fell flat on his face and broke his nosehe decided against getting it fixed and doesn't seem to have any bother now at all .
  • celebrationb
    celebrationb Member Posts: 134
    Options
    I hope you feel better soon Best wishes
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    ((((()))))xxx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Sophie
    This is all you needed, that must have been so painful , I hope its feeling easier for you..and they can fix it soon for you,then you can get back to your job, or knowing you ..you haven't been away from it..(((())) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Sophie
    How do you feel now
    That must have been really sore....ouch!!!!!
    I use arnica for bruises and take a shedload of meds and it doesn't clash with any of mine.
    Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Nearly weekend :) Top up time ((()))
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Options
    Aw I've just seen this, thank you for your kindness. It's taken a week but I am headache free. My nose is a lot less tender and swollen, albeit a bit wonky. I can live with that though. :lol:
  • Slosh
    Options
    Glad to hear that.
    Julian of Norwich