Prednisolone

villier
villier Member Posts: 4,426
edited 27. Aug 2014, 07:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
I know we are all different but I would like to hear your views on Prednisolone. I know there can be weight gain, what about the moon face? what other side effects could you expect? I may have Polymyalgia Rheumatica and could potentially be on them for a long time but am not looking forward if I gain any more weight than I have recently. I know a lot of you have been on them at some point I would love to hear your views........................Marie xx
Smile a while and while you smile
smile another smile and soon there
will be miles and miles of smiles
just because you smiled I wish your
day is full of Smiles

Comments

• As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have been on pred for around 3 and half months now. I have been on a dose between 80mg and 15mg and really do want to come off them now. The side effects that I have from them are weight gain, moon face, constantly hot and sweaty, dry skin, splitting skin, spots on face, pale skin and short tempter. I also suspect that they have done no justice to my bone density either.....but everyone is different and you could get away with minimal side effects

At one point in my life I was on a 25mg dose of pred for around 2 years and only side effects I had back then were weight gain, lower bone density and feeling hot all of the time.

Pred is a great drug but for sure its not one that I like to take in the long term, the battle for me now is trying to get off these things which is a lot easier said than done after being on them for so long.

I wish you luck with the pred, and im sure if you're being prescribed it your doctor thinks the benefits outweigh the side effects/risks that come with this medication, sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and take this drug.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My name is DD and I am a pred-head. :oops: My rheumatologist put me on pred half way through a three month period without meds and I could not believe how much better it made me feel within two hours of taking my first dose. What's not to love? :? Truth be told plenty, but for some it can be a valuable medication because it is.

My biggest dose has been 30mg for five days but that is in the past couple of years when my asthma was misbehaving. Prior to that I was only on 20mg per day for a few days, and when I was on my maintenance phase it was between 5, 7.5 and 10mgs per day. Weight gain? Yes, but over time. Moon-face? Yes, but again over time. When I was taking myself off it I lost the moon and the weight.

Pred has a role to play in so many conditions. OK, we all know that it's not that good for one in the long-term, but I am sure you will be monitored closely and what really counts is the quality of life now. If pred can improve that for you then I whole-heartedly say 'Give it a whirl, girl.' It could well be that a small daily dose will be all that is required to improve matters. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hi Marie;

I have a history with pred and was put on it first in 2009. I took 15mg for two and a half years and I really thought it was doing nothing until I went off it. I flared badly and realised how much it had been helping. Initially, I had few side-effects that I was aware of, no weight gain, skin effects, or wonky emotions so much so that the doc really commented that it hadn't affected fat distribution much at all with me. It does seem to affect my eyes as I have developed cataracts since being on it, but nothing more serious, thankfully.

I have taken it off and on since but it's been for short periods and at higher doses. The low doses don't give me relief, only when I get up to about 20mgs do I notice relief of symptoms. As time has gone on I do have more side-effects now: feeling hot, irritability, anxiety, slight moon face, needing to pee more frequently. The trade off is good while I'm on it though, with less weakness, pain and recently, relief of inner ear vestibular symptoms. I'm looking at my brand new bottle right now which I expect I will start shortly. I take a high dose but only for ten days at a time. With this schedule I am told I'm minimizing side-effects and also don't have the tapering process to go through coming off it.

Hope a small dose will be effective for you.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    I'm not a huge fan because not long after downing the tablets (no matter what dose) they make me feel shakey and fizzy and like I might have taken something illegal and be ready for a rave. I don't enjoy that feeling first thing in the morning (or at any time of day these days). They also weren't a cure all for me. I guess though, if they might work for you then they are worth a try. I think if I had felt much better on them then the fizzywhizzy feeling would have been a mere oddity.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I never gained weight on pred but I did do the whole moonface thing. I had long hair at the time so I hid behind it :lol:

I now have osteoporosis and I assume pred must take its fair share of the blame though so must the RA itself, the early menopause due to chemo and my Mum :wink: who also had it in her – much – later years.

When given a hefty whack of it pre-chemo I couldn't sleep and my eyes felt they were on stalks but never on a normal dose just for the RA.

You have a great deal to cope with, Marie, and must take that into account when deciding on whether or not to go on it. I'd want to ask questions such as how much, for how long (I think I'd have to be pretty bad to be going on it indefinitely), are ther any alternatives and are there precautions could be taken against osteoporosis.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    Thank you all for your input, as always you all come up trumps, certainly a lot to think about and at least I know the questions to ask.

The plan is I have to try 15mgs for ten days to see if it helps the muscle pain, if it doesn't it is not PMR, she is going to phone me next week to see how I get on and I think the plan after that was to try and get as low a maintenance dose as possible. Being in shock at the time thinking I was just falling to bits with old age :lol: I never thought for one minute I may have another condition.

I have a very good GP who already monitors me every few weeks so I know I would get well looked after. I will collect my script this afternoon and try for the ten days just to see whether it is PMR or not, if it is I know the questions what to ask before I commit myself(if not back to the drawing board :roll: ). Thanks again all you have been a great source of information.................Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • AmandaJones
    AmandaJones Bots Posts: 36
    Hi Marie,

The ideal Prednisolone dosing regime continues to be sought by researchers. The one study suggests that initial prednisone doses ≤ 10 mg is associated with high incidence of recurrences, whereas doses ≥ 20 mg are associated with considerable side effects.

The initial dose of prednisone needed to alleviate musculoskeletal symptoms in PMR is lower than that required to control the vascular inflammation hence 15 mg makes sense here. The dose can be gradually reduced while the doctor monitors the symptoms and normalization of the blood ESR.

Prednisolone below 7.5mg daily gives only modest side effects. However, starting doses for PMR are higher (around 15mg) and this can lead to weight gain. Prednisolone increases appetite leading to weight gain, so finding ways to curb your appetite is important. Including bulky foods rich in fibre (vegetables, whole-grain cereals, bread, brown rice, and pulses) and lean protein (chicken, fish, eggs, nuts, tofu) with each meal will help to keep you feeling fuller for longer. Also, make sure that you stay well hydrated.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated about how you get on.

Amanda
  • villier
    Thank you very much Amanda for the information it is vey much appreciated.

I get intravenous immunoglobulin treatment every three weeks for my neurological condition and my ESR is always around 80 which my Rheumy always maintains it is the IVIg that is causing it, so, it will be interesting to see if the pred alters the reading for my esr showing there is inflammation somewhere.

I am hoping that I have picked her up correctly and I don't need to be on the higher dose for too long and can get to a lower maintenance dose that is not going to cause too many side effects, that is of course If it is PMR.

Thanks again Amanda the next few days will be interesting to see if the pred helps an I don't have my usual pantomime trying to get out of bed in the morning :lol: ....................Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Hi Marie ,

if you end up on the steriods long term , make sure you get your eyes tested every year , Prednisolone can cause increased eye pressure which would need treating with eye drops , if untreated will risk endding up with Glaucoma , the eye test will pick up increased pressure & save having your eye sight damaged
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Sorry I cant offer any help Marie,what ever you decide we are here for you.at least now you have all the info..not sure if that is a good thing or not :shock: xx.
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    Thank you trepolpen and Barbara, I am so glad I joined this forum people are so full of knowledge, helpful and kind. Today is D-day :shock: at least I should know in a few days whether it is PMR or not xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Good luck with D Day, Marie :D

(I nearly typed DD Day :o:lol: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    DD too says good luck with D Day! ((( )))
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben