Cellulitis

Options
2»

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am pleased you managed your bath and yes, salt can help. My mum used to tip salt into my bathwater when I was a child, to help ease the eczema. It stung at first but it did help to ease the itching. I do a much smaller version when I have eczema-d eyelids, maybe this could help you too. Smart thought, Barbara! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hope you have a good time with the family.Mig
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I'm sure I read somewhere that fine single malts are the best treatment for cellulitis. It doesn't stop the infection but it makes you feel much better about it. Have a great time.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Enjoy Scotland Sticky my daughter lives in Edinburgh,Hope your on the mend (()))Marrianne
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    gretta wrote:
    Hi
    I was intrigued by this post. 5 weeks ago I spent 2 weeks in Hospital, 4 days of it in intensive care for a burst appendix. I came out of Hospital, District nurse attends daily to change dressings plus I now have oedema & cellulitis in both legs, which have to be bandaged each day, didn't have these problems before I went into Hospital. Have had 3 lots of anti-biotics, but problem still there. Now I get a feeling of something like pin pricks in my legs. Is this normal. I thought this might be a one off problem as I knew nothing about celulitis before but I see some of you have had it more than once. In addition to my problems of osteo-arthritis etc. Can't win can we.

Gretta
    ........Gretta ,I would be going up the wall with this ,some of the standards of hygiene in the medical profession leave a lot to be desired,I hope the pin pricks stop soon and your legs heal soon Marrianne (((())
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I'm sure I read somewhere that fine single malts are the best treatment for cellulitis. It doesn't stop the infection but it makes you feel much better about it. Have a great time.

LV, have you ever thought of becoming a GP? You'd be brilliant and please may I be your first patient :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Me too :lol: hope the inflammation has died done a bit and doesn't stop you from enjoying your weekend xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hope you enjoy your trip, sticky. I'm away next 10 days too. Hope the batteries get re-charged!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh LV, that's a classic and made me smile! May I be second in line at your newly-opened consultation rooms? Apparently chenin blanc is very good for PsA but I would like an official confirmation. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Laughter is the best medicine. Mig
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    How are you doing, Sticky? Hopefully the cellulitis is retreating?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thank you, Anna. I had a great, exhausting weekend with the family and, just to be on the safe side, had a go with all the aforementioned remedies :wink: I suspect it was the antibios that did the job but the laughter, CB and single malt made everything pleasanter. I took my last antibio this morning and have declared myself officially cured :D
    Steven Wright
  • charleeh
    charleeh Member Posts: 173
    Options
    Hiya Sticky,

I am glad you are feeling better now :)

As for preventative measures it is something that bothers me immensely as I has celulitis for 6 months in both feet last year, 9 months of anti biotics shifted mine but it was awful, it ruined my dream holiday to new orleans and I was in a wheelchair for the whole duration of the trip. Ironically mine got in through a gnat bite too!!

What I have been doing is:

wearing bed socks in bed (to prevent any stray toe nails from scratching me)

wiping out all my shoes regular with anti bac wipes

clean towel every day

washing the bath mats more frequently

wearing citronella oil on my ankles every time I go outside, even just the garden to keep bugs away (regular bug spray would be ok but you know me a hippie so like natural products lol)

washing my socks and clothes on a 40 instead of a 30 every other wash

changing the bed more often

cleaning the shower before I get in

clean flannel for every wash (I use a wash mitt)

I got slippers that go in the washing machine and I wash them regular

also, I found out that certain types of mould can cause skin infections and that worries me as we have a down stairs bathroom in an old terrace house - our bathroom has a mould problem - I am trying my best to clean it as much as possible but with poorly hands its very hard :roll: . . . .

Maybe I have given you a couple of ideas out of my routine here.

Stay well!!!

best wishes,
    Charleeh x
  • charleeh
    Options
    Hiya Sticky,

I am glad you are feeling better now :)

As for preventative measures it is something that bothers me immensely as I has celulitis for 6 months in both feet last year, 9 months of anti biotics shifted mine but it was awful, it ruined my dream holiday to new orleans and I was in a wheelchair for the whole duration of the trip. Ironically mine got in through a gnat bite too!!

What I have been doing is:

wearing bed socks in bed (to prevent any stray toe nails from scratching me)

wiping out all my shoes regular with anti bac wipes

clean towel every day

washing the bath mats more frequently

wearing citronella oil on my ankles every time I go outside, even just the garden to keep bugs away (regular bug spray would be ok but you know me a hippie so like natural products lol)

washing my socks and clothes on a 40 instead of a 30 every other wash

changing the bed more often

cleaning the shower before I get in

clean flannel for every wash (I use a wash mitt)

I got slippers that go in the washing machine and I wash them regular

also, I found out that certain types of mould can cause skin infections and that worries me as we have a down stairs bathroom in an old terrace house - our bathroom has a mould problem - I am trying my best to clean it as much as possible but with poorly hands its very hard :roll: . . . .

Maybe I have given you a couple of ideas out of my routine here.

Stay well!!!

best wishes,
    Charleeh x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Crikey! Thank you for all the tips, charleeh. That should keep me out of mischief for a while :wink: Bearing in mind my first bout of cellulitis came as a result of an insect bite I think I really should try to take some precautions in summer though I can't remember a single bite this year. Usually I get several.

I hate the idea of bedsocks and our king-sized usually keeps Mr SW's feet at bay (He used to lie diagonally in a normal double) but I shall ensure he clips his toenails regularly :wink: I guess the rest is mostly just sensible but more-than-usual hygiene.

Thank you. Let's hope we both stay cellulitis-free :D
    Steven Wright
  • charleeh
    Options
    Hiya Sticky,

I might have to invest in a king size bed! sounds like a great idea - especially as I have a husband who sleeps diagonally too lol! :lol: - mine is not as keen to keep his toe nails as short as I'd like them though! :roll:

Best wishes,
    Charleeh x
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    It's amazing what you learn on this forum: I thought I was the only one with this problem. It's worse now because his back is bad chronically and he says he can't reach them, so I should cut them. Absolutely no way!!
  • charleeh
    Options
    Boomer13 wrote:
    It's amazing what you learn on this forum: I thought I was the only one with this problem. It's worse now because his back is bad chronically and he says he can't reach them, so I should cut them. Absolutely no way!!

My Nan has a lady come to do her feet she is diabetic and has her toe nails clipped and test the feet for sensitivity. She pays around £15 every 6-8 weeks I think.

Her friend used to go to the nurse to get his done, but I am not sure if its for diabetics only.

I wonder how many people have had celulitis from a toe nail injury?? :lol:

Charleeh x