Fireactiv

Shakey
Shakey Member Posts: 14
edited 30. Aug 2014, 08:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anybody seen or even tryed this.

It's a heat pad that goes around the neck or where every you have arthritis sounds good but just want to see if anybody has had ago and know if it works.

Comments

  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Not this version but surely it's no different to a wheat bag or a hottie. It will probably give some relief for a small period of time, just like all the other heat treatments that people use. You won't know until you try and I hope it isn't too expensive. DD
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    Not heard of that one but how pricey is it? That's the question you have to ask yourself about these so called cures
    I wouldn't be without my pads that go in the microwave.
    I have various shapes including a snake shape which goes around your neck.....I cant imagine it being any different from that type of thing.
    OK they only give relief temporarily but temporarily is better than noting :wink:
    Love
    Eileen
  • Shakey
    Shakey Member Posts: 14
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It's £25 so not to bad I think I will have to give it a try,it will be good for the winter under a scarf when out and about in the cold weather.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I would discuss this with your GP. Out of interest I had a look to see what it was snd if it might be useful for my neck. My concern is that it mentions the word "support". While this sounds great, you need to be very careful with this as most doctors and physiotherapists will stress the need to keep the neck flexible to stop it from stiffening up as this causes more problems.

    One of the worst things about neck pain is that you can't take the weight off it, the nearest I find is to lie down.

    I would go with a high collared coat and a warm scarf, plus a wheat bag as needed.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,098
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I fully agree with Slosh. Supports are normally only recommended for brief periods as there is no support quite as effective as muscles and these go into decline if not used.

    I checked out the site. Please note it says they are NOT recommended if:

    You have a high fever or damaged skin
    You have skin allergies or any other health condition.
    You have a pacemaker, other electronic device fitted, or high blood pressure. Please seek the guidance of a doctor.
    You are Pregnant.
    Do not use the product on or bring to contact with any sensitive parts of the body such as eyes.
     
  • Shakey
    Shakey Member Posts: 14
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Ok so really don't sound to good then,I looked on epay and you can see a better picture of it and the support look like a solid plastic strap that goes around.

    So the wheat bags are really the better things to go for and a good pillow for bed time.

    How long do you keep the wheat bag on for is it 15 to 20 minutes ?.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Wheat bag as long as it stays warm.
    Also providing you don't have metal in your neck a tens machine, these have some proven effectiveness for neck pain. I was gutted when the physio said I couldn't use one due to my fusion.
    Relaxation and posture are also important
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    From what I remember I think you are in the early-ish days of this, yes? It is very tempting to think that a 'cure' is out there, and it's hard to come to terms with the fact that there is no permanent fix, but we have to be wary of devices such as these. I used to love my knee supports but, after a gentle lecture from my then physio, I stopped using them and concentrated on building my muscle strength. As Slosh said, wear the bag until it cools and be careful when re-heating it: they are known to explode. :shock: DD (who is currently sitting on a hottie to ease her sacro-iliac joints).
  • Shakey
    Shakey Member Posts: 14
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    From what I remember I think you are in the early-ish days of this, yes? It is very tempting to think that a 'cure' is out there, and it's hard to come to terms with the fact that there is no permanent fix, but we have to be wary of devices such as these. I used to love my knee supports but, after a gentle lecture from my then physio, I stopped using them and concentrated on building my muscle strength. As Slosh said, wear the bag until it cools and be careful when re-heating it: they are known to explode. :shock: DD (who is currently sitting on a hottie to ease her sacro-iliac joints).

    Yes but feels like I am well advanced in pain everyday get dead shoulders in bed at night,pins and needles in my hands.
    I will get a wheat bag and give it a go and hope it doesn't explode on me :P .
    So finding hard with work and life at this minute in time.
  • Shakey
    Shakey Member Posts: 14
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Slosh wrote:
    Wheat bag as long as it stays warm.
    Also providing you don't have metal in your neck a tens machine, these have some proven effectiveness for neck pain. I was gutted when the physio said I couldn't use one due to my fusion.
    Relaxation and posture are also important

    No no metal or tens in my neck just two warn bones that are giving me pain lol.
    What's the relaxation ?
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Tens is a machine you can buy or get loaned by physio that can be effective for pain relief. I can't use one due to my fusion as I have metal in my neck.
    The physio told me to be careful with my posture and to learn relaxtion techniques as they also help. There are lots of apps out there.

    Have you phoned the helpline as they can send you copies of useful booklets free of charge?
  • Shakey
    Shakey Member Posts: 14
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Slosh wrote:
    Tens is a machine you can buy or get loaned by physio that can be effective for pain relief. I can't use one due to my fusion as I have metal in my neck.
    The physio told me to be careful with my posture and to learn relaxtion techniques as they also help. There are lots of apps out there.

    Have you phoned the helpline as they can send you copies of useful booklets free of charge?

    Do you what I haven't yet I keep forgetting to do things will do tomorrow or Monday If I remember lol.

    I have I tens machine here but not sure where to put it straight on me neck or just below low,also how long do I put it on for and what power to have it on??
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    Do you not have your instructions still?
    I keep mine and have to look each time I use it :lol:
    My problem is I've lost mine :o I think it must be in the caravan which is in storage. I had it when we went away a few weeks ago
    Love
    Hileena
  • Shakey
    Shakey Member Posts: 14
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi
    Do you not have your instructions still?
    I keep mine and have to look each time I use it :lol:
    My problem is I've lost mine :o I think it must be in the caravan which is in storage. I had it when we went away a few weeks ago
    Love
    Hileena

    Haha no I lent it off a friend a while back and came with no instruction so have no idea where's best.

    But does play havoc on your stomach :lol::lol: .
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You might be able to find the instructions for your TENS machine on the internet. As for relaxation, there are a number of methods to encourage one's body to soften and relax; some of our pain can be caused by us holding ourselves in tension to try to minimise pain which results in more.

    1. Lie as comfortably as you can, then starting at your toes clench - hold - and release your muscles. Work your way up the body until you reach your shoulders. By the end of this - and don't rush it - everything should be eased and relaxed.

    2. Again set yourself as comfortably as you can then allow your mind to drift: create a setting for yourself that you find attractive, appealing and peaceful, a waterfall, a beach at dawn or dusk, a flower meadow, then immerse yourself in that image, paying heed to sounds and scents. Again this may help your mind and body to relax.

    3. Listen to some favourite, soothing music.


    4. Enquire about meditation - it's a skill that I have never mastered due to my fizzing brain but it can be very helpful for some.

    These are some of the things we can do to help ourselves and we have too - there is only so much the docs can do with their pills and potions. DD
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    Yes I do the relaxation but cannot get into the visualisation???
    I also go to yoga which I find helps ...its a class for "older ladies" :lol: while most of them are on their yoga mats, I stand and some sit and she changes the exercises to suit us as well.
    If I got on a yoga mat....I would never get up again :lol::lol::lol:

    Love
    Eileen

Who's Online

3
Izzy72
Izzy72
RogerBill
RogerBill
+1 Guest