Some good news for a change!

Options
fortuna
fortuna Member Posts: 149
edited 2. Sep 2014, 09:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Today I received a visit from the Memory clinic nurse to tell me that my brain scan was very good for my age (72) no shrinkage, no spots and no signs of stroke or occluded blood vessels.

To say this is a relief is an understatement I feared the worse as my Father had Alzheimers and my memory has been deteriorating badly. I am now to see a Phsychologist as she fears my poor memory is more likely due to a) losing my partner of 16 years within 20 minutes b) leaving Spain and returning here d) having to find a home and moving in e) feeling so alone etc etc and developing Rheumatoid Arthritis.

The nurse was very impressed with me (from how I was when she first visited me) as I have painted a picture I am proud of and have decided to split my large bedroom into a tiny sleeping area and a larger place for all my painting gear. Since the picture worked (haven't painted successfully since my return really dire efforts) I have felt a lot better and thought I didn't need the psychologist but she insists I should as moods can swing either way.

So for the moment I am on an upward curve after a difficult couple of miserable months and am hoping some of you are joining me.
Fortuna

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh bless Fortuna, what a worry that must have been, its awful when a close family member has had Alzheimer's ..to say I am please for you is an understatement... :D xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    :D:D:D I'm so pleased for you, fortuna. I can 'hear' your relief. And who wouldn't be relieved with such news? Now, do all you have to do (Well done with the painting :D ) and I hope things continue to improve for you. Please keep us informed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    Options
    Thank you both for your thoughts. I have stupidly over done it but it's nearly done and I have just taken my 1st Tramadol for weeks and will have another at bedtime in my new tiny bedroom. Tomorrow should be a lot easier - amazing how much stuff one has squirrelled away. Of course all the Christmas and birthday cards have to be looked at again and the many sympathy cards and other parts of another life. They lay in a cupboard just waiting quietly to be read again. So a few tears but each time they get an airing the pain is less.
    And now I am so looking forward to painting in my new "studio". Are there any other amateur artists on this forum I wonder? I can no longer sew, crochet or knit but for the moment I can still wield a paint brush!
    Hugs and best wishes to all,
    Fortuna
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Well done, fortuna! You certainly seem to be a very adaptable sort of person and I believe that does actually help in protecting against Alzheimers. I guess the old 'use it or lose it' adage applies to brain cells as much as anything else.

As for forum artists – I know we have had them in the past. I have one of julie47's up on my wall and JoanWilson put some of hers up on the forum. As regards current members, why not ask on Chit Chat?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Fortuna, you sound truly amazing and resilient. I hope you feel it. Grief is a horrible but curious beast and does strange things to us. I think your cards are a lovely way to help manage it, I thought you put that beautifully, airing them, crying and the pain getting less. It sounds like you are fighting hard to find a way forward and surely you will. Your small bedroom and studio sound heavenly and healing. Enjoy it.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I'm pleased for you too Fortuna.

I love Art but I don't seem to find the time to do as much as I'd like, yet I find it so relaxing and enjoyable. I used to go to classes but the fatigue meant I missed a lot so I didn't sign up this year. At home I am distracted by boring housework so I need to go out and paint.

I believe there are a few artists on here (Mat48 being one).

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein