TMJ

Options
lesley123
lesley123 Member Posts: 42
edited 12. Sep 2014, 05:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I recently had a tooth extracted and since then (over 2 weeks ago) I have had TMJ. My jaw will now only open about half an inch. My dentist says that it will improve with time but, as the tooth was loose, it was an easy extraction and my jaw movement seems to be getting worse.

Has anyone had this as a result of OA? I have OA i my fingers and toes but it came on gradually and not suddenly like this.

I'm desperate to find the cause of this as I can't see an end to it

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't know whether my jaw problems were caused by my OA or my RA. I certainly can't open it wide (Just ask my dentist :wink: ) but it didn't come on suddenly or as a result of dentistry. This is that NHS Choices says about it http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/temporomandibular-joint-disorder/Pages/Introduction.aspx It does sound as if it should improve in time but I think I'd be asking for physio exercises if it were me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lesley123
    Options
    I asked both my dentist and GP about exercises and they both told me to try to rest my mouth as much as I could and not to try to force it open.

I think I'm going to register at a different dentists tomorrow as my dentist also told me to make sure I clean the backs of my teeth properly. I can't even get a finger into my mouth, never mind a toothbrush!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    If you can't brush your teeth more problems will result. Try an electric toothbrush - even a child's. I'm rubbish with an ordinary toothbrush but can get everywhere with my electric one. (Make sure it has a small head though.)

Physio can include relaxation exercises and these are recommended by the NHS site I mentioned. However, a second opinion could be good too. I hope it helps.
    Steven Wright
  • AmandaJones
    AmandaJones Bots Posts: 36
    Options
    Like other joints in the body, the jaw joint is prone to undergo arthritic changes. These changes are sometimes caused by the breakdown of the joint (degeneration) or normal ageing. Degenerative joint disease causes a slow progressive loss of cartilage and formation of new bone at the surface of the joint. Its prevalence increases with repetitive micro-trauma or macro-trauma, as well as with normal ageing. Immunologic and inflammatory diseases contribute to the progress of the disease.

Splints worn in the mouth can be effective in managing the symptoms. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and stress management may also be helpful in managing the condition.

Physical therapy involving mild jaw exercises, such as opening and closing the lower jaw from side to side. Try this after a warm compress is applied for 20 minutes. The lower jaw movements should be repeated three to five times a day, five minutes continuously each time, for about two to four weeks.

Regarding brushing, you can use toddler tooth brush, softer and smaller. Apply moist heat to jaw, before brush and try to hold your chin while brushing.

Hope you get relief soon.

Amanda.
  • lesley123
    Options
    I went to see a different dentist today because my jaw is becoming even more restricted. It's now only opening about a quarter of an inch :o . He said he had never seen anything like it and has referred me to a dental hospital. He doubts it's arthritis because the onset was so quick and suspects that the initial infection may have damaged my jaw and/or muscles.

Thanks for the help and comments though x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I do hope the Dental Hospital can help.

If the tooth was infected by an abcess maybe your dentist should have prescribed antibiotics. I know we all gobble far too many of them which is why they are becoming much less effective and why docs and dentists are increasingly reluctant to prescribe them unless essential. However, there are times when needs must.

I hope the appointment comes through quickly. Please let us know how you get on.
    Steven Wright
  • lesley123
    Options
    Thanks, Stickywicket. I was prescribed antibiotics before the extraction but they didn't help so the tooth was pulled. The dentist said that the infection would go with the tooth. I did ask about more antibiotics but was told they weren't needed.

4 days later I got dry socket. This was filled with paste but still no antibiotics. A couple of days later i could barely open my mouth. Then I was given 5 days of 2 different high dosage antibiotics.

I'm off to buy a baby toothbrush tomorrow. I have an electric one with a small head but I can't get it between my jaws.

On the plus side, I have developed a love of Haagen Daz which I have never tried before. And I have a perfect excuse for eating it :D
  • stickywicket
    Options
    It all sounds very unsatisfactory and piecemeal, doesn't it? It might be worth asking the pharmacist how best to keep your teeth and gums in as good a state as possible until the Dental Hospital can sort you out. Mouthwash might help a little.
    Steven Wright
  • mally
    mally Member Posts: 25
    Options
    It does, Stickywicket. I felt as if I was just totally dismissed by my dentist last Friday. He just told me to see my GP because he didn't need to see me agai. My GP said that it's a dental problem that would only resolve when it was treated.

I'm using corsodyl and hoping that will do the trick for oral hygiene.

I've a feeling that my jaw problem is not new though. For some time now my lower jaw has felt odd. Not anything I could put my finger on but just different but not painful. I've a feeling that my recent dental problems may have exacerbated a pre existing problem. In addition to this I have felt very tired for the last few months. Now i am absolutely exhausted all the time and I'm sort of hoping that it is all linked and shortly the cause of it will be found. Having said that, I'm not at all satisfied with the treatment I've had from the initial dentist. It's not that long ago that I had my check up there.
  • lesley123
    Options
    Haha, I've just realised what happened there. Mally is me. I joined this forum ages ago as Mally and when I came back to it some time later I couldn't remember my username and so rejoined as Lesley123.

I used automatic login on a different browser earlier and it must have remembered my old username and password. I've just sat for 5 minutes wondering how I posted under a different name.
  • lesley123
    Options
    I went to a and e yesterday and they sent me to the dental hospital where they cleaned and repacked the socket of the extracted tooth and gave me more antibiotics and painkillers. Finally, I'm feeling better today. My jaw isn't fully functional but a lot better than it was yesterday x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oh that is good news :D How on earth did they manage to get in to do that? I expect the have special tools and mirrors. Was it painful trying to hold your jaw open for so long? That's my biggest problem with the dentist. I sometimes have to ask her for a 'closing break' :lol: I hope things improve for you now and normal movement will be restored.
    Steven Wright
  • lesley123
    Options
    They put these lollypop type of sticks in and managed to lever it open about a centimetre but mainly they just pulled my lip to one side to get to the empty socket. The levering it open bit was agony!!! And they still couldn't see into it enough

Things still seem to be going well although I was a bit worried yesterday as it hadn't improved from Friday, Today I can manage a full centimetre without the sticks :D

If it hadn't improved by tomorrow I'd have to have been admitted so I'm very relieved. They xrayed my jaw and there is a dark patch under a wisdom tooth which they suspect may be lingering infection so I may need that extracted when I can open wide enough
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm glad they could help but please don't neglect that dark patch. It's all too easy once other things improve. A friend had a dreadful time because his dentist left in an infected – but painfree – tooth.
    Steven Wright
  • lesley123
    Options
    Spoke too soon. My jaw closed up again and I was admitted to hospital as an emergency yesterday. They found an infected cyst (that could not drain itself) which has now been drained and biopsied. Now I can open my mouth a lot better and have exercises to do to strengthen it again. Still have a very sore mouth, nose and eye though.

Never again will I let things get that bad though. Getting a tube into your throat when you can't open your mouth and have very narrow nasal airways is no joke!! Hopefully it is now sorted though
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :shock: Me too. You really have been through the mill with that tooth. I hope it is finally sorted.
    Steven Wright