Options
Cazmack
Cazmack Member Posts: 2
edited 8. Sep 2014, 03:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
Have just joined after spending time reading through the threads.
Was diagnosed with RA about 18 months ago, just as I retired from work. RA did not figure in any of my retirement plans.....
Started Etanercept 3 weeks ago as metho and other meds caused problems with my liver. Shame, as I thought they were working and felt fine but Consultant and GP thought differently. Managed in the interim with Steroid injections but have now been refused any more due to side effects. Massive flare up for a period of 6 weeks and finally the Etanercept arrived. Within 2 hours the swelling to my hands had gone and the pain was considerably reduced. Three weeks/Injections on, pain back in my hands. Am hoping this is just because it takes time to settle into the system. Sorry a bit long winded but not sure how much of an intro to give. Looking forward to participating. It is a relief to read other peoples issues and know I am not alone. :)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello cazmack :) I think you've got it spot on with the info. You've told us which type of arthritis you have and which meds you've tried. I was a bit surprised when I read that you were on enbrel (etanercept) after only 18 months but your explanation made perfect sense.

I hope it works well for you. I've not done it myself so I don't really know whether the quick improvement followed by the deterioration is anything to worry about. It might simply be that it needs to build up in your system, as do many of our meds, and that you were just lucky to get an initial burst of 'normality'. I hope other of our enbrel users will soon be on to give their experiences. Meanwhile, welcome to the forum :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    A quick welcome from me too..

I have OA and RA and now osteoporosis too lol. Lucky chap that I am :roll:
    I hope the meds work their Mao for you soon.
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Welcome from me, hope the support you will get from the site will help you deal with the your R.A.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    This sounds familiar to me, something similar happened with my first anti TNF, I was stupid enough to think I'd been cured of the PsA. :oops: I now know better. I am now on a triple therapy, including humira, and it is doing something but nowhere near enough because it is far too little, far too late and I have OA to boot.

Our bodies adjust to the drugs but it is very unusual to be rendered totally pain-free and able to return to the life lived before arthritis. The main thing is that the meds should be controlling the disease and although the pain and stiffness return it may be less than before. One can still flare when on the meds but in a subtly different way. One of the major troubles with this malarkey is that we all react differently to the disease and the drugs. It's tough. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben