Any Advice about Pad position with Tens Machine Please?

Options
silkysam
silkysam Member Posts: 113
edited 5. Sep 2014, 12:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I went to Physio on Tuesday, she advised I try a Tens Machine. I now have one from Lloyds Pharmacy. I have OA in Lower Spine and both Hips, but more painful in right hip area. I have Sciatica pain, almost continuously, forgot to mention that I also have two prolapsed discs L4 and L5.
What I would like to know (as I am totally confused :() is where are the most beneficial sites to place the pads , and how many pads do I use please? There are two packets with two pads. My pain is concentrated on right buttock and down right leg. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D . Thanks in anticipation . There is a leaflet with it, but Pharmacist said not to get one that stated for Sciatica as it was unnecessary extra expense, but there is no advice on positioning on leaflet for Sciatica with the pack I have.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    If by 'forgot to mention that I also have two prolapsed discs' you mean you forgot to mention it to the physio who suggested Tens, I think you need to check out, before using it, that it's OK for you. If you only forgot to mention it to a sales assistant at the pharmacy, I don't think it matters. Try looking here http://www.tensmachines.co.uk/Electrode-Placement_ep_36-1.html

(I think, if I'd been told not to get one for sciatica when I wanted it for precisely that, I'd want to know why.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • silkysam
    Options
    yes the Physio was aware of the prolapsed discs and OA of spine and hips Sticky. I forgot to add to my message that I also had two prolapsed discs . I meant that in relation to suggestions of where to stick the pads to get the most benefit for Sciatic-like pains. Sorry to be so confusing :(. Thanks for reply :) the Physio told me to try one, but didn't advise where to stick pads and I won't see her again for three weeks.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Right, well the link I gave seems to show where they should go and, as your physio knows about the discs and didn't advise caution, I reckon you can just go for it. Good luck and I do hope it helps :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • silkysam
    Options
    :) Perfect Stickywicket! Again , thank you so much. I haven't tried it yet as I have been out. I will let you know how I get on. How are you Stickywicket? Hope all is well with you.I am looking forward to using this now. :)