Abatacept.... the jury's out

Options
alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 7. Sep 2014, 07:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone, long time I know,
Is anyone else on this drip, as I'm having loads of side effects with it. Headaches in the mornings, flu like symptoms, joints aching, eyes watering for an hour every morning.
As this was my sort of " last resort " move, and I was pinning most of my hope on it, as you can imagine I'm a bit depressed.

I know I've only had 2 drips, but I swear I can't continue like this, I seem to be going worse / not better, Iv'e never had a reaction to a drug like this one , I'm usually ok 99% of the time with medication. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has had trouble with it.

Thanks for reading this, I would appreciate any advice. Hope the regulars on here are all ok. Alanthemanc

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've never done abatacept but I think maybe you need to ring your rheumatology helpline for advice. I don't think for one moment they'll try to persuade you off it unless the symptoms are indicative of a serious problem. They might have some suggestions for dealing with them though. I do hope this can be resolved. Feeling that it's a final resource must be worrying.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    Yeh, this seems to me like the final /of the final or near to it, if you now what I mean. The only thing that I seem to respond to are Steroids, to a certain extent. I'm going to be very nervous when I go for the next drip next week. Alanthemanc
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    I go into anaphalatic shock with this drug, which is a shame as its the only one that works for me!!
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    Jenzie
    Good god, that sounds traumatic, it sounds bad but at least I know I'm not the only one. Alanthemanc
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    It's a bit annoying really. I also have reactions to humira, cimzia, enbrel and rituximab. It was getting slightly ridiculous. I've had one go at tocuzimab and it was ok, just fingers crossed I don't develop an allergy otherwise I'm stuffed.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Yeh, this seems to me like the final /of the final or near to it, if you now what I mean. The only thing that I seem to respond to are Steroids, to a certain extent. I'm going to be very nervous when I go for the next drip next week. Alanthemanc

I've had periods when I felt there was no other place to go, medswise. Luckily, they always came up with a solution. I hope that, if necessary, this will be what happens for you, too.

As for poor jenzie - well we keep saying we're all different in how we react to meds. Sometimes, I guess, that's no bad thing :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It sounds to me as though this med doesn't suit you and I second Sticky's suggestion that you contact your rheumatology unit because there's no point in feeling worse than needed. Please let us know how you get on, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben