Osteoarthritis in toes

Options
nonaproxin
nonaproxin Member Posts: 53
edited 10. Sep 2014, 07:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
Does anyone else out there have OA in the toes..already had a fusion of right big toe two years ago..fusion OK but now OA is in the next little (IP Joint).Along with second and third toes starting to become arthritic..And now have same problems with left foot..currently only in the big toe ...looks like another fusion on the cards ...
My question is ..how far will my feet/ toes ..further deteriorate...I have very limited mobility at present...but it's getting more painful all the time...I have OA in back , knee, and neck as well...but when it's in your toes it's very hard to keep going...as the load bearing joints in the toes are so small..and very painful...if this continues I fear I may not be able to walk for much longer..god knows I struggle now..and my gait irritates my sciatica constantly
leading to more severe pain....two years of this..and I seem to be getting worse...at only 56...it's a bit worrying to say the least...Any one ???

Regards to all. Eddy.

Comments

• jackiel
    jackiel Member Posts: 19
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Eddy, I can't answer your question unfortunately but I totally sympathise with your situation as I too have osteoarthritis in both my feet and several toes. My second toe in on my left foot has fused in an odd shape and is agony if I try and walk for any time length on it, I then find I use my foot incorrectly to stop the pain which puts stress on the balls of my foot :roll: !

I'm 40 so the prospect of my feet deteriorating hardly fills me with joy, especially as my GP is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.....

• AmandaJones
    AmandaJones Bots Posts: 36
    Options
    OA of the toes can be very frustrating as it affects walking and balance to a great extent. If you have pain in your ankle or foot, you change the way you walk. But when you change the way you use your feet, you also change the way you turn your ankles, knees, hips and spine. This will cause the cartilage to degenerate, further, leading to wearing out the cartilage.

Have you ever seen a podiatrist? They can establish a baseline and take pain management steps to avoid further damage to your body if you meet them in early stages. However, it is never too late. Without your feet in good working order, your life can be…. well, challenging. I wish you get the best treatment at earliest.

Amanda.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have PsA-affected toes and OA in both ankles, which are growing extra bone. Arthritis will hit wherever it chooses but none of us can answer how far the deterioration will go. Once joints are out of kilter we alter how we move (to hopefully reduce pain) and thus put other joints under stress and cause ourselves more pain. It's a vicious circle. :( DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I think I probably have OA in all my toe joints not to mention the rest of my feet bones. I've had to wear surgical shoes for 35-40 years and, at the last count, the foot scanner didn't recognise my left one as a foot. I can still walk though, on a very good day about ½ mile, but very good days don't come along too often.

I would concur with AmandaJones except I think an orthotist might be a better bet than a podiatrist. Trusts differ in how they deal with foot problems but my podiatrist simply cuts my toe nails and checks my feet for other problems. It's the orthotist who deals with my shoes and insoles. Ask your GP for a referral.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • nonaproxin
    Options
    Thanks to you all for your replies. I am currently under the Pain team at my Local Hospital..And I am suprised that no one has ever mentioned seeing someone like a orthotist, or a podiatrist. It does seem to me that you have to do your own research in order to get things done...I see a physio and a Consultant Anaesthetist (who heads the team)..I am going to have Acupuncture next...for my OA in my neck...but as far as the feet are concerned they only give injections into the joints and advocate surgery..I will definitely ask about seeing someone in these other "branches" of care, as my back and knees are now starting to get much worse..and I think I WILL BE CRIPPLED TOTALLY ..if things don't get sorted soon.
    Cheers to all ...and thanks again .
    Best Regards,
    Eddy
  • Keren
    Keren Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi Sticky,

I went to a podiatrist to get orthotics (he was great) - I think they cover off both bases.

K
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Please do ask about a podiatrist / orthotist. It was my rheumatologist who first referred me to mine.

I think you would be exceptionally unlucky to be 'crippled totally' though I guess that phrase would mean different things to different people. I certainly don't regard myself as such though hardly any bits of my toes actually touch the ground when I walk. It sounds as if you are scared of your potential future but remember it's possible to be so concerned with the future that we forget to enjoy the present. Take whatever steps (no pun intended) you need to improve your gait but, having done that, don't fret about what might never happen.

Keren – Thanks for that info :) I was fairly sure I'd read on here of some people seeing a podiatrist for orthotic insoles.
    Steven Wright
  • nonaproxin
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Sticky...I think that because I have been very active all my life...training Dog's ....this is having a massive effect on me..more so than if I had been a couch potato all my life...
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Believe it or not when one becomes debilitated by chronic pain, whether one has had an active life or not, it is still devastating. The future becomes even more uncertain apart from one aspect: as any form of arthritis is degenerative and progressive things are only going to do just that, progress and degenerate. Welcome to the challenging life with arthritis - we are what we make of ourselves, not what the disease makes of us. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    We all have to find our own coping strategies. In my early years I just carried on as normal - and hurt :lol: Then I had kids and I tried to carry on as normal as possible - and hurt a lot. One tactic I've always used is that whenever I have to give up something I really like I take up something else I expect to really like. That way, arthritis has led me into some fun things. I think just by being flexible, in mind if not in body, good stuff still happens. I've never been a couch potato and never will.
    Steven Wright