Tramadol Advice Needed

Options
Trayguy
Trayguy Member Posts: 38
edited 12. Sep 2014, 13:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I have recently been put on Tramadol due to increased pain in my knees after having an arthroscopy which was supposed to improve it but unfortunately made it a lot worse.

I have been taking Tramadol and just wonder if anyone can tell me if the side effects I have ( feeling sick and very dopey) eventually go if I keep on taking it. I just don't think I will be able to function if it stays like it is.

Thanks

Tracey

Comments

• deedeeitsme
    deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Tracey.....I tried Tramadol and the side effects I had were similar to yours but I also couldn't sleep at night, I didn't feel restless just unusually awake, really strange feeling. I only took them for a few days because of this so can't really say whether the side effects you are getting will go away, sorry.

Dee x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Tracey
    I took tramadol for the 6 weeks post op after my first THR
    I felt really spaced out but thought {in my ignorance that was to do with the op} then the consultant took me off them in 6 weeks so that was OK.
    I was prescribed them later for pain....took them for a few days and started to feel the same way so just stopped them

Love
    Eileen
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    Options
    Hello
    I was prescribed Tramadol a few years back after an op. It sent me do lally. But when I was diagnosed with RA in January the pain was so intense I decided to try again. It worked taking away about 50% of the pain and I remained quite mentally alert.
    Once that flare was over I stopped. As I have been busy changing my apartment around, using muscles I didn't know I had, I turned to Tramadol. It worked really well allowing me to finish what I had started. For the last couple of days I am suffering severely with a bad flare in my left hand and so brought out the Tramadol again. But it is not working for my joints and only seems to work on muscle pain. Does anyone have any ideas on why this should be?
    Typing this with one hand the is wrapped up in a heat pack which is soothing but that is all.
    Cheers Fortuna
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi Tracey;

I guess I won't be much help to you as Tramadol has always worked well for me and without many side-effects. It's just about getting the correct dose for myself. I'm sorry you are having side-effects. I'm not sure if they will subside for you but it's a possibility.

Best wishes, Anna

Hi Fortuna;

It may be that the muscle pain is from spasms and tramadol won't help with those. That's all I can think of other than the dose may not be strong enough? I combine mine with a powerful muscle relaxant and codeine/acetominophen but I have a couple of different problems ongoing and have been doing this for a good long while. It's always a good idea to consult your doctor if you are not getting good pain control or unpleasant side-effects. Maybe they can suggest something to help?

Best wishes, Anna
  • AmandaJones
    AmandaJones Bots Posts: 36
    Options
    You have not mentioned dose you are taking. I have been on Tramadol for a year without having major problems or increase in dosage as it was effective for what I take it for. Sadly, Tramadol only works for 50% of the patients, so if it does nothing at the first dose, skip taking it (not without consulting your doc).

The unwanted effects often improve as your body adjusts to the new medicine, but speak with your doctor or pharmacist if any of them continue or become troublesome.

Feeling or being sick is common with Tramadol. Stick to simple meals - avoid rich or spicy foods. You should avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine as this will increase the chance of you feeling drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive or use tools or machines.

Hope it helps
    Amanda.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I've always found, with any pain relief, that the relief and dopiness went hand in hand and, as soon as the dopiness stopped I seemed to need more dullers so I now keep all to an absolute minimum. They have their place. I was given trammies once when leaving hospital and found them quite useful occasionally for a few days but my stomach didn't like them either and I have enough stomach problems without them adding to them. I would never say never again but not on a regular basis for me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    I've been on Tramadol for years
    for RA and OA pain.

I only have ever taken a lowish dose
    2 or 3 x 50mgs per day. Only ever had the full 8 tabs per day after joint replacement ops of which I have had 3 up to now.

Trying to stop taking them has been my problem, it
    caused restlessness at night and a mild anxiety, (bit tearful for no reasons particularly). So am keeping on with 1 or 2 per day and at least I can sleep better.

Hope it all works out for you.

Kath
  • Trayguy
    Trayguy Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi

Thanks very much for all your replies.

I only took 2 x 50mgs over two days and have decided to give them a miss. Might have to go back to Naproxen which did sort of work but a side effect was I put on weight!!!! Not good when I need to lose it to get a new knee.

Once again thanks for being there.

Tracey
  • charleeh
    charleeh Member Posts: 173
    Options
    Hi,

Tramadol has been the best pain relief for me. I can't take codine as I hallucinate on it. After being on Tramadol for about 3 years intermittently I can say hand on heart I don't get any side effects (other than the need to use laxatives!) - I don't get tired at all, but I did at first - I was sleeping all day. I found that wore off after a while.
    If you are on it long term it can be highly addictive, like trying to stop smoking. Thats most likely when I might experience some side effects.

I always think it best to take the lowest dose of anything you can though. Like if you can stick on paracetamol and find them effective don't take anything stronger cus when you really need it they are less effective :?

I hope you feel better soon,

Best wishes,
    Charleeh x
  • MickeyJoints
    MickeyJoints Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi ya,

Just come back from a holiday (Spain, near Barcelona - lovely) and have been looking at posts as my RA is getting worse. Anyway, saw your post and thought I'd contribute.

I have chronic back pain from being a health professional and was on distalgesic (co-proxamol) for 15 years until NICE decided that it was too risky for people to use. So from a non-opioid to an opioid!

When I do have back paid I only take 1 50mg cap as I find 2 sends me into an odd space that I don't like at all. Unless at night when I can drift off with 2 caps. One with an anadin extra seems to hit the spot during the daytime.

Recently my hands and feet have been so troublesome I've been taking them for the RA too.

The side effects do vary as you have seen in the replies and I'd suggest you need to regulate the dose to gain an effect you are looking for, with out excessive side effects. It's trial and error. As ever, don't exceed the dated dose! :D

peace.