Don't try this at home

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 10. Sep 2014, 04:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
"You'll notice I get down a little strangely. That's because of the metal hips."

That was Dame Gillian Lynne, doing the splits at 88 :o

The former ballerina, now choreographer, was being interviewed about a ballet she's choreographing which is a reprise of one she starred in during WW2.

I could never do the splits before my THRs so I shan't be trying BUT don't you really have to admire people who just go on achieving and achieving?

I hope the ballet's a big success. The hips clearly are :D
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I love that! How fabulous that she has maintained her range of movement. I'm hypermobile and when not in a flare I can do the splits (especially if I have had a few drinks to help me loosen up). My brother was immensely proud that my nephew (2) could put his foot to his ear until I could do it too. My Grandma who is 85 is still increidbly flexible but that is where I get my hypermobility from and her Dad died from AS at the grand old age of 36 so it isn't all genetic party tricks down that line!
    I hope the ballet is a success too, everybody says how dreadful ballet is for the feet, I am sure it is but if you can be doing the splits with metal hips at nearly 90 then surely that cancels out the foot damage to an extent?
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Yes I saw that this morning......it was fantastic. She also has metal in her ankle....as have I....and the thought of me with 2 THR's and screws pins etc in my ankle doing that.....the mind boggles :shock:
    As you say SW ...I couldn't do the splits beforehand so not likely to be able to do them now :lol:
    I'm off to my yoga class soon....that's the most I can manage.
    It wasn't just the splits.....it was her morning workout and the bit where she lay down and pulled her leg over her head :o
    Not a chance ....if I got down I wouldn't get up again :lol:
    Love
    Eileen
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    How brilliant is that..like you say you do have to admire them..did anyone see Wayne sleep kicking his THR up to his head... :shock:
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Well, that'll never be me. I'm 48, no metal hips and need to take morphine after a half-hour chair yoga class. This is when I'm on prednisone :shock:
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    Options
    I was never able to do hand stands, cartwheels or the splits. And when the beam was introduced at my school that was the end of me aspiring to do more than walking or running. And as for the that thing you had to vault over..................... :cry::cry::cry::cry:
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Blimey! :shock: I did ballet for many years and struggled with splits when I was a young, healthy teenager. Sometimes when I'm feeling nostalgic, I hold on the handle of the oven and pretend it's a ballet bar. :lol: