Insoles

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 10. Sep 2014, 06:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone. Gorgeous weather here in Essex and I hope everybody else is getting this lovely September sun.

My insoles only took six months from date of referral to the Surgical Appliance Department at our local hospital. I thought they would do the trick and stop my feet turning inwards which has been caused by walking awkwardly since my THR. When I saw the thickness of them I said to the very nice man that there wouldn't be any room left in my shoes for my feet and he replied "yes, there will". I wear H----r shoes so they are a decent shoe, but I've lost nearly 3/4" in depth in the shoes and consequently my heels do not sit where they should be and the shoes now constantly slip up and down. I showed them to my osteopath today and he said they were way too thick and I would inflame my achilles tendon as my heel wasn't in the correct position in the shoe. I've got an appointment with my chiropodist next week and I'll see what she has to say about them. They cost the NHS £120 so I don't want to not use them, but on the other hand I don't want to cause a different set of problems. Has anybody else experienced this problem with insoles".

Janet

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    As I have to wear surgical shoes, if there's a problem with my insoles the orthotist has to fix it one way or another :D

I've had insoles of different depths. I don't know what your usual shoes are like but, for best protection, they should be quite deep and either lace ups or, if you can't manage laces, velcro fastenings. The insoles do pad down a bit with usage.

I've taped my heels up before now – mine, not the shoes – when the back of the shoe was digging into my Achilles. I think you can get pads now to fit in the back of the shoes but that wouldn't be an ideal solution.

Chiropodists and chiropracters are not experts in orthotics so, if the problem continues and your shoes are of the right kind, you should go back to the orthotist. Any one worth his salt will watch you walking in them, from behind, and see whether or not they hold you correctly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Janet I do hope they can sort this for you like SW says this should be down to the orthotist..I dont wear them but would have thought they would have given you advice on the shoes.. :?
    Love
    Barbara
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Hello stickywicket and Barbara

The chappie asked me to stand up in them, walk to the door which was only three steps as his office is more like the size of a large cupboard and I told him my shoes were slipping but he didn't take any notice. I've only worn them about the house and I've already blistered one heel. 3/4" loss of depth in a shoe seems like a lot to me and because the insoles are so high from mid foot backwards there is an uncomfortable ridge mid way and they are throwing my top half forwards as if I was walking in heels. All my shoes have either laces or velcro straps, but I've had to loosen them as my feet are now sitting far too high in the shoe.

I will obviously have to take the insoles back and see if he can come up with something else. I've only just got my back strengthened as the THR has made me walk awkwardly and I'm blowed if I'm going to cause more problems for myself. Just a pity I had such a long wait for the insoles - they are made in the States.

Bye for now.

Janet
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    How odd :? Mine are made here as are my shoes. Good decision to go back though. This needs attention. Please let's know the outcome.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright