RA does pick it's times to rear it's ugly head.

Options
fortuna
fortuna Member Posts: 149
edited 25. Sep 2014, 21:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am going away for a few days on Saturday with a very good friend. On Sunday evening my left hand started to be extremely painful and swelling to the extent that my hand looks like a hand of bananas!
I am seriously thinking about cancelling but really do not want to let my friend down. So I sought advice from my consultant's Rheumy nurse and she advised getting blood and urine tests done (tomorrow) and see my Doctor on Thursday in the hope that she will prescribe Prednisone. I had steroids for a month in January when I was diagnosed and they worked so quickly it was quite miraculous.
So wish me luck, please
Fortuna

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good luck. Hope you get sorted
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Aww that is awful timing, I really do hope you get something to help..then you can get away and enjoy your break..not much to ask is it...good luck and let us know how you get on
    Love
    Barbara
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Oh what lousy timing. :( I really hope you don't have to cancel and that some prednisolone can carry you forward so that you not only get to go but get to enjoy yourself too.

I'm sure you know this but if you can stand it, try ice on the swelling or soaking the joints in cool water and rest, rest, rest!

Wishing you lots of luck. I shall keep my fingers (and toes and arms and legs!) all crossed for you. Please let us know how you are.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Going away, even on a very pleasant holiday, can be stressful and that's the gap arthritis needs to crawl in and do its stuff. I hope you manage to get it unde control, fortuna, and have a lovely time away.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    How was your appt, Fortuna?
  • fortuna
    fortuna Member Posts: 149
    Options
    I did get it all sorted and got an emergency supply of steroids. Thank you for your thoughts. On the Thurs. l before seeing my GP i woke up with a near
    normal hand! No real pain! My daughter took a photo when it was at it's worst which I was able to show my GP and she gave me the script with strict instructions to use in emergency only.
    I had a very good holiday even the weather was pretty kind. But now I have another problem. Will start a new post
    Fortuna