A weight off my shoulders (and feet!)

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 25. Sep 2014, 02:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Due to my love of crisps and pizza, combined with an arthritic-induced lack of exercise, my weight has slowly crept up rather high.

It's not easy to lose weight when you're on a low fibre, low residue diet. No brown bread, cereal, wholegrain foods and very, very limited amounts of fruit and veg is tough. However, I've experimented and found healthy foods that don't make me vomit (too much!) or roll around in pain AND have allowed me to shed the pounds.

While I can't solely credit my weight loss to hard graft because my stomach condition means that I have had periods of very frequent vomiting, I have made a conscious effort to be healthier. I have successfully lost 22lbs. :D I have a fair way to go but mentally, I feel happier knowing I am doing what's right for my long-term health and physically, every pound off my poor crippled feet is a bonus.

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well done you! And just think of the lovely new clothes you'll need to buy.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Many congratulations, Sophie, you are a determined woman aren't you? I am one who sits and bemoans but finds it hard to alter her dietary habits, well the diet is OK it's more the wine. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Blimey, Sophie! You never cease to amaze me. 22lbs is a lot to lose for anyone let along someone on the sort of diet you seem condemned to. Well done, once more!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tenbury
    tenbury Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Well done Sophie wish I could drop some pounds off I am 10 stone and 5 ft tall but I was always quite slim until I started all this medication, not sure of the culprit but strongly suspect Hydroxy tabs...well done again .
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Blimey Sophie that is a lot of weight..you just try and carry that :shock: ..well done you it goes to show it can be done..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you for the kind and generous comments. I will save them and print them off to keep motivated.

My main motivation is to improve my joints as much as I can possibly can. It won't cure my inflammation nor my joint erosions but I don't need to cart around excess weight.

I have managed to lose large amounts of weight before but the real task was keeping it off. So, I shall have to remain vigilant.

Watch this space. 8)
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Yes, I believe keeping it off is the standard problem and why, for weight loss, it's considered better to just cut down portion size and cut out the junk stuff ie stick with a diet one can stick with permanently.

In your case that can't be at all easy because you are so limited in the bulky stuff (wholefoods, veg, fruit etc) that fills one up. I think you're doing great :D
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Just wondering since there are a number of us watching our weight/trying to loose some in less than ideal circumstances whether it would be useful to have a thread on the chit chat forum for a bit of motivation and encouragement.
    Anyone interested?
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    This has been proposed once or twice but it never seemed to work. 'Turbogran' did it alone and was very successful. She went to Slimmers World weekly and just put her own updates up. I think she got a lot of encouragement and quite rightly so. As I recall, she reached her target weight and, I think, stayed there.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Well done Starburst. 22lbs is amazing!

I'm struggling to lose weight but have made an effort because my BP was high and it worries me. Its only a few pounds but at least its in the right direction.

Elizabeth xx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Starburst that's amazing!! If you found something that's works with your vomiting and weight then keep it going. It's great to hear you have been so successful with keeping the balance right we'll be in your corner rooting for you!
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words.

It turns out that when you get used to weighing in kilos and then weigh in stones, you get confused. :oops: I have (now) officially lost 2 stone. The weight loss is slow but steady. :mrgreen:
  • Slosh
    Options
    Slow and steady is the best way.
    Julian of Norwich
  • tenbury
    tenbury Member Posts: 52
    Options
    So wish I could lose weight but very well done , I have been trying to eat less but the weight just comes off my face not my hips were I need it, oh well I'll soldier on. :P
  • Slosh
    Options
    You have inspired me to get back on the healthy eating wagon and loose the last stone I need to get myself down to a healthy weight.
    Julian of Norwich