Looks like its going to be one of those weeks

Options
As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
edited 21. Sep 2014, 03:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Effects of my medication have run out, where my skin is splitting open due to steroids has got much worse and much deeper splits, and now 3 of them are infected which just adds to problems. I also have a mouth full of ulcers which are so painful that I cannot eat anything without pure agony and to top things off I feel like I have some sort of chest virus/infection lingering which makes coughing extremely painful as it sets off muscle spasms in my back.

I have a doctors appointment at 10AM, thought it would be wise to get these splits in my skin checked out and my chest, I really hope Its something of nothing but from experience I know its not going to be nothing and this means I'm not going to be able to take my medication next weekend in time for enrollment week at university, oh well not much I can do except rest and hope for the best I guess

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm sorry things have taken a downturn. Of course you're an old hand at this and are doing exactly the right thing. I hope the doc can help somehow. Enrollment is, I guess, in the lap of the gods right now. Please let's know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    How rotten for you, I am pleased to see you are going to your GP especially if the cracks are sore, I do hope he can help and then its all system go for your enrollment, I really do wish you well and please let us know how you get on..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • As5567
    Options
    Appointment with the gp didn't go as I wanted it to but its better to sort things sooner than later I guess. He has given me 2 types of antibiotics. One set for general infection which should help clear the infection in the splits in my skin and one set which are specific for common bacterial infections of the lungs. He said my chest doesn't sound too bad but it looks like something is starting to brew and hopefully the antibiotics will stop it progressing, he said he was a bit concerned that I virtually can't cough which could make things more complicated in killing an infection but we will have to wait and see.

He also sent me for some swabs and a blood test. I also have to increase my steroids which I wasn't happy about but its better to be safe than sorry, and maybe the increased dose will help somewhat with pain, we shall wait and see.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Not as hoped but at least there is a plan there and the wherewithal to deal with it. I hope things happen sooner rather than later.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Same here, at least you have a plan of action to try to get to the root of the problem and hopefully the antibiotics will start to kick in soon. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Aaw AS, you've had a really hard time lately. ((()))
    It's only Monday, so hopefully within a few days, the anti-bs will have kicked in and you might get a bit of energy and strength back.

Take it easy, rest up and be kind to yourself.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh, I remember the splits when I had eczema. They were painful and nasty, more than once they affected all my fingers on the inside of the joints, some on the outside too and I would get them behind my knees and in the crook of my elbows. Nasty things. :( Whereabouts are yours?

We know that because our immune systems are suppressed it does take a while for us to produce symptoms so hopefully you have nipped this in the bud before things get too out of hand. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • As5567
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Oh, I remember the splits when I had eczema. They were painful and nasty, more than once they affected all my fingers on the inside of the joints, some on the outside too and I would get them behind my knees and in the crook of my elbows. Nasty things. :( Whereabouts are yours?

We know that because our immune systems are suppressed it does take a while for us to produce symptoms so hopefully you have nipped this in the bud before things get too out of hand. DD

Virtually in between every single finger, a couple of my toes, the inside of both my arms and one in my groin. Its literally as if someone has slices me open with a very sharp knife. They do seem to heal within a week or so but as soon as one heals it seems as if 2 or 3 more appear making it very frustrating and miserable.

My chest still feels heavy and yuck but it doesn't feel any worse, I have been given the go ahead to take my injection today by my doctor in hope it will ease my back pain and allow me to cough up any lingering gunk which should aid healing....thats the plan anyway. My blood results came back as extremely high so my gp and rheumatologist know I'm not exaggerating things when I say that I physically cannot cough or fully inhale a deep breath.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    How are you feeling today after the injection? Any better, or is it too soon to expect that?
    Steven Wright
  • As5567
    Options
    Much better, it always works within around 24 hours but its just a shame it will only last 7-10 days and then im back to square one. Hopefully it will last long enough so I can enroll onto my course
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oh I do hope so. Fingers crossed :D
    Steven Wright