Methotrexate

Cyberwoman
Cyberwoman Member Posts: 11
edited 17. Sep 2014, 05:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all.
I'm to start my Meth tonight 15mgs. What can I expect? Am I likely to feel To feel ill, sick etc tomorrow? Or is it a case of wait and see? Will I be able to work tomorrow do you think?
I'm to take 15mgs for 2 weeks then 20mgs.
Thanks.

Comments

• As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It's impossible to tell if you will feel unwell after taking it, my suggestion would be to take it before bed and just don't think about it.

You might feel drained/tired tomorrow which is normal but not so tired that you can't do anything. You should be fine to work tomorrow but might want to take things easy until you get used to the drug, if you do feel sick then my advice would be to call your hospital helpline to let them know and to ride it out, it usually does get better for most people.

Good luck with the drug, I hope it works well for you :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    None of us know what may or may not happen. I have very little trouble with meth, occasionally I feel very tired two days after my injection but that is rare. Many of us on here take it and have no trouble at all because side-effects are not guaranteed, end of. It is true that some cannot cope with a small dose but you won't know until you try - it might be the thing you need to improve the quality of your life: I hope so. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I had no problems when I first took meth and still don't other than the occasional day of fatigue afterwards. I always take it with food as a safeguard for my dodgy tummy. Hope it helps :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    When I was on MTX I took it with my evening meal, so if I felt nauseous the worst of it would pass overnight. In fact I didn't feel too bad, apart from it affecting my taste buds, which was weird, as some of the foods I'd always enjoyed, like garlic chicken for instance, I couldn't face for ages. Not everyone gets side effects.
  • Cyberwoman
    Thanks for replies. I will just take it and hope for the best. I think consultant always has to warn you of the possible side effects as I guess you just don't know how it will affect you. I'll let you know tomorrow! x
  • Cyberwoman
    I guess even mild nausea and fatigue can affect your ability at work?
  • Cyberwoman
    I forgot to say I have been given prescription to get some buccastem, but I haven't got it! I need to get a prepaid yearly prescription thingy!!
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I felt quite nauseous when I took my first dose but I was also started on steroids at the same time, so I can't be sure if it was the combination. It did pass though which was reassuring.

I agree, take it right before bed and on a full stomach. I do tend to feel a bit drowsy the next day, so I take it on a Friday night.

That said, we are all different and it's impossible to tell. My best advice would be to relax because the mind is a powerful tool and anxiety can make you feel nauseous.

Best of luck!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, how did you get on? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    hello Cyberwoman and welcome to the forum
    I dont take it,but I do think that you can dwell on the side effects, like you say they have to tell you about them these days and it can be so scary when you first start to take new meds..I would try and distract yourself after taking it..I do hope it went well lat night for you..please let us know how you got on
    Love
    Barbara