Regulating my body temperature.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 29. Sep 2014, 17:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am finding this increasingly challenging and very frustrating. For three years or so I could attribute the flushes and melts to the menopause but, seeing as how that is well and truly done-and-dusted I think I can only attribute this to either the meds or the fibro.

It is, oddly, exhausting. I have a shower then drip, melt and sweat for around thirty minutes after, probably due to the effort involved in drying off. Later I may feel chilly so I will slip on a light layer - within 30 seconds or so I'm dripping and the layer is peeled of. This can be repeated for a couple of hours or so during the early afternoon, similarly with turning on and off the electric fan. Cooking is a nightmare, stooping over the hob or standing in front of the open oven door causes the drips, I have been known to wring out my nightie and apron before dishing up - I tend to resemble a boxer because more often than not because I have a towel draped round my neck. Another melt when eating thanks to hot food, and another when washing up. When watching telly after I have freezing feet but the top half is merrily dripping away. During the night the duvet is flung off, dragged back, flung off, dragged back. My pillow is wrapped in a bath towel and I sleep on one too. I am currently sitting in front of an open French door, wiping myself down with a hand towel and leaning back so I don't drip on the keyboard. I don't put water in my steam iron now, I just drip on the clothing that I am ironing. :wink:

This is really getting me down at the moment. Is anyone else on here troubled in a similar way? If so you have my deepest sympathy because it is miserable. I am forever washing towels and flannels (I carry one of those in my handbag) and use a hand-held bamboo and cloth fan when out and about. Grrrrrrr. Right, I've finished my post-breakfast drip :) and now must go for a shower, to get all clean before the post-shower drips. :roll: Most irksome. :| DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi DD

I am sorry that you still suffer with this. I remember you have mentioned it in the past. Thyroid problems leap to mind but I expect you have had all this checked to rule it out. Or perhaps you are on medication for it already. If so you will be having regular blood tests to check all is ok.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • mamasmurf
    mamasmurf Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Morning , DD , I am also a bit of a drip ( hubby's words ) , mine is mainly at night time ; also have a towel around my pillow . During the day I'm more likely to be shivery instead ! I was told this is most probably due to fibromyalgia , but was basically told to put up with it ! I really feel for you , I often wonder why I started playing this game , can I play something else now please ?
    mamasmurf
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you Elna, that is a very good idea and, because I am in the middle of it all, hadn't thought about that as a possible cause. I will get this checked because I don't recall having a thyroid check at any time despite the numerous blood tests I have. I feel a clot. :oops:

Mamasmurf? Oh yes, I too would like to play another game because I am utterly fed up with this one! As a friend pointed out yesterday, rather than clearing the car of my various walking aids why don't I get shot of the arthritis instead? :lol: That is a much more sensible option. :wink: I hope all is as well as possible in Brighton. DD x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    DD for what its worth I am another drip and have gone through the menopause at 64.the rheumy said inflammation causes it, only for my numbers to come back OK...at an appointment last week the nurse brought me a jug of cold water thought she was going to throw it over me,....till I saw the cup.. no easy answers sorry x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I know you've mentioned this several times over the years :o I've been on AC. Some things just have to be put up with (eg arthritis :wink: ) but, for others, it's worth exploring every avenue of possibility before just accepting them as 'normal' or, indeed 'nfm' ie normal-for-me. I guess, in the grand order of things, this is nothing like as troublesome as the arthritis but, when the latter is particularly bad (eg now :roll: ) the littler things are the proverbial straws that did for the camel.

That sounds like a good suggestion of Elna's. So, yes, as you would say to anyone else in your situation, get thee to a doc, young DD, and let's try a process of elimination. I think we sometimes tend to forget that some things can actually be cured :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • rayray
    rayray Member Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm the same and get so fed up with it. Leaning forward, just feeling a fraction increase in temperature, drying my hair, anything really. I thought menopause but this has been going on and on. The one thing that helps me is a little cold spray of water. I buy it from the chemist as they sell pressurised small cans for my bag and large for next to the bed. An expensive way to buy water yes but it is very cold and lasts months. Great sprayed onto my stomach and pulse points. A bind never the less and I feel so embarrassed when I am literally dripping when everyone around me appears cool.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    DD, I am 49 (and a half) but am struggling with hot flushes and night sweats so your post rang a bell for me. I am awaiting the results of 16 (I couldn't believe it when I added them up!) blood tests that my GP ran - I'll get the results next week. You name it, she's testing for it, including glucose levels and thyroid as she said both of these could cause hot flushes and night sweats. However, she and I think it's an early menopause so we'll see.

One moment I'm fine - the next I feel like I am absolutely dripping. I have a shower before I go to bed and a wash when I get up. My duvet is practically on a revolving spring it goes on and off so much throughout the night. If it's not a hot sweat waking me up, it's my joints or my bladder so I feel permanently exhausted. If I go through the night without waking up - once a week - then I almost want to start a mexican wave with my neighbours to celebrate. :lol:

I agree with Elna for what it's worth - see your GP for a full blood screen. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that there is a reason which can easily be dealt with.

I'm off to put the fan on again.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,932
    Options
    Hello DD
    sorry DD i dont have that problem you have a lot to put up with you dont need that as well.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I don't have that problem but feel for you, it must make you feel so miserable and is just what you don't need on top of everything else you have going on.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Options
    Hello DD ;-) It's always a continuing joke amongst our family and friends that my internal thermostat has gone wonkey!

What's the old adage? Horses sweat, men perspire and ladies glow!

You would've had a thyroid function test as a matter of routine as we all do?

Sounds a bit silly and gross but I tasted the perspiration and it was so salty! As I'm very subject to UTIs on the Enbrel I doubled the intake of water...result? Still haven't got the old thermostsat in line but it's far better.

The other, rather impolite thing, sorry I'm not being offensive, is? Are you overweight? I know you've mentioned before that the powers that be wouldn't do your knee replacements until you were older and had lost 3 stone. Weight always seems to have a bearing on sweating.

If you're never going to talk to me again I quite understand ;-) Cherry
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Of course I am going to talk to you again, you daftie! I admit I am somewhat overweight - I've lost some recently and I'm not sure why - and yes, of course that has a bearing but it's the instant variations that are particularly annoying. My water intake had dropped markedly since we had a softener put in (thread on CC about it, apparently we should have a separate drinking water tap and don't) so I am now buying huge bottles of mineral water. I'm back to my three - five pints per day which has to be better for me.

I am not aware of ever having a thyroid check done so I will go and see the GP and ask about it - surely it will be on my records if it has been but I may be due another test. I know there are some on here with thyroid troubles and see absolutely no reason why I shouldn't join in. :wink:

Sometimes we get far too used to things being rubbish and we flog on when something can be done. I will get this sorted out and if it can't be then I'll shut up about it! DD
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Sometimes we get far too used to things being rubbish and we flog on when something can be done.

This is true, it's hard to draw a line between what we just have to live with and what to ask a medical professional about. It gets so muddied with illness, meds, side-effects, yada,yada....Guilty too, some days I just can't describe what is wrong, it's all too much.

DD, I have the sweating problem too which alternates with Raynaud's and feeling freezing :roll: . My feet are confused, and sweat when they are ice cold. The full-body profusion of sweat is extremely annoying, distracting, etc,etc!! and I carry a towel everywhere and change my shirt many times a day but thankfully, I don't have night sweats. Well, yet anyway as I'm still waiting on menopause. I had put my symptoms down to perimenopause, but since they are most severe during flares of PsA I think they are likely due to inflammation. My complaint hasn't reached my GP's ears mainly because there is usually something else higher up on the priority list. Mine at least seems to go away periodically :D Oh, and I'm a skinny, sweaty one.

Sending sympathy, hopefully your GP can figure it out for you. If it's thyroid, at least there is as an easy fix.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    This is something I seem to get all too often, I have a fan running at night all year round and the same for my window being open. One moment in the day and night I can feel fine and then suddenly I'm very warm and sticky to the point it can make me feel sick. At the moment I seem to be running warm 24/7 but I put that down to the steroids but even when I'm off the steroids I seem to have hot flushes during the day and almost always during the night.

I have told many doctors about this over the years but they dont seem concerned about it and just blame medication or weight
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    Options
    I too have problems regulating my temperature although it tends to be much more on the melting, sweating side. I think it is due to the fibromyalgia as I went through the menopause several years ago without any tropical moments. Your describing the quilt on/off sounds exactly like me :lol: I have an under active thyroid which usually causes you to feel the cold but not me. Years ago when my thyroid was over active I never felt the cold but didn't perspire like i do now!